Are Star Wars games copyrighted?

I was working on a Star Wars for a while, It’s in early progress and I wanted to make it realistic by creating the real Jedi Temple on Coruscant, however, I’m not sure if that’s copyrighted. There are many Star Wars games on ROBLOX, however, none of them uses the Jedi Temple on Coruscant which is the main Jedi Temple and the episodes of Star Wars are recorded there. I was wondering if there aren’t Star Wars games which have the Temple on Coruscant in them, is it because of copyrights? And is Star Wars copyrighted in general?

1 Like

You can have that type of game but not include Star Wars in the game, title or description.
So, I would suggest to not use the Word Star Wars in the game or title.

Star Wars is copyrighted, yes. You cannot legally use characters, brands, etc. from that work.

Any Star Wars games you see on ROBLOX are only allowed because Disney hasn’t bothered to issue a DMCA to ROBLOX about them yet. They could, however, be taken down at any time if the copyright holders decided they wanted them down. See ROBLOX’s guidelines about copyright.

Now, whether anyone will care that you made a Star Wars game is a different matter. Probably nobody will bother you, especially if you’re not profiting off it. But read this.

3 Likes

I suggest just a creating a map, but change the title or give at least the credit to the Disney. Because Star Wars is an official trademark of Lucasfilm and there won’t be any problem if you make slight changes.

Giving credit does not prevent copyright infringement, and derivative works definitely are still covered under copyright. Unless you’re creating a critique or parody (and even that is a fuzzy gray area filled with uncertain court decisions), you may earn ROBLOX a call from Lucasfilm’s lawyers. Again, probably not, but I wouldn’t touch a franchise like Star Wars.

Of course, it’s fine to be inspired by a copyrighted work, but I don’t think you could make the argument in court that a game set explicitly in the Star Wars universe, with Jedis and Coruscant and everything, is just an “inspiration” – it’s definitely a derivative work.

2 Likes

Of course, not mentioning character from Star wars, for example changing their names to prevent the DMCA. I just thought about the idea of writing to Lucasfilm about getting permission to use their name but I think that is not a good idea. I am really frightened about getting a DMCA in my game. I have the building that is from the film but I don’t wanna get reported, I also use other names to prevent from getting a DMCA. I am inspired by this film to create the map, not only this building but create other things myself.

Edit: it’s not star wars

Would I be able to use lightsabers in my game without a copyright problem?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.