Are there any plans for offline building to return?

About a week ago, I flew from Washington DC back to Florida on airplane without reasonably priced Wi-Fi and remembered a blog post from a million years ago about a guy who built a Japanese showcase solely on offline studio (it was sometime between 2012 and 2016). I then decided to boot up my old hand-me-down computer (who is no longer with us :cry: ) and give it a go myself but was unable to begin construction to an offline file. I attempted rebooting the computer, restarting studio, and opening saved files but nothing worked. Is there something wrong with my studio? Was the feature removed? If it was removed, can someone fill me in as to why and if there is any information about it returning? Thanks!

4 Likes

IIRC you need to be logged into Roblox in studio to be able to edit/create anything, ever since the new studio layout

1 Like

I was logged in before I left. Is there any information on the ability for it to be used offline to come back?

Odd. I’m not sure then.

2 Likes

It appears as this won’t happen, this is the latest post about it that I can find:

6 Likes

How ironic about him saying the “airplane arguement”. Thanks Jason.

6 Likes

Technically offline studio was never supported. It just happened you could use studio offline at one point.

In fact, if you start studio while connected to the Internet right now, and then become disconnected, you can still use it as if you were online in some regards. So there’s still some hacks you can do if you’re desperate.

But seriously, you lose 90% of functionality when studio is not connected to the world wide web of wonders. To me it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

But what about building? You have access to all of the unions and blocks you place. Just not meshes

Don’t unions need to load just like mesh parts do? They’re assets on the site.

2 Likes

I get it, but I spend most of my time writing Lua code in Studio, and not being able to see the scripts I’ve spent thousands of hours writing whenever the site goes down gives me a heart attack. I don’t expect CSG to work or assets to load, I just want to be able to open a place file.

3 Likes

I’m just surprised that the US has Wi-Fi on their airplanes.

I did a lot of my initial development in Roblox without a proper, or sometimes any internet connection. I think this feature was quite an important part of studio and should make a timely return.

2 Likes

Delta has it but charges about a hundred dollars for an two hour flight.

2 Likes

On-board Wi-Fi is not a thing in Europe, and it’s actually Illegal by European directive.

Hack
  1. Open studio while being offline
    Cannot%20connect
  2. Press OK and wait for unsupported offline mode to start
    OfflineMode
  3. Press OK and drag a file into it
  4. Profit
    LoggedOut
7 Likes

I agree, it’s terrible when that happens. There are other editors you can use to write code offline if you really want though. Testing them offline would be cool in theory but I suspect most of that wouldn’t work without Internet either.

1 Like

i noticed this when i was at my grandparents place who don’t have internet, for 2 weeks i could not open anything other then recent games that was on the main page thing. I wasn’t happy because I was wanting to open places but of course could not, it was frustrating i didn’t want to use phone data for it. its too bad they had to do this, because sometimes my internet at home can be very slow so I disconnect and go on studio offline if there was an update or if it wasn’t working properly.
It would be nice if it was added back.

1 Like

and saves that are on you’re computer should be able to be opened you would think… nope

1 Like