Are there efficient methods for Cel Shading on Roblox?

Cel shading, or Outline Shading would be be pretty useful. I’m aware of a method with inverting meshes and scaling to achieve something like this, but that also doubles the part count of an object.

My primary use would be for highlighting enemies in game. I’ve found that people have a hard time identifying enemies from teammates because of character customization. A good example of this being done effectively is in Q-Clash. Enemies have a red outline.

One of my VFX designers came up with a method using particles, but it looks strange as its constantly moving around.

I assumed this is a scripting topic, not sure where else to put this.

2 Likes

Q-Clash uses the method of inverting and scaling up meshes to highlight players. I don’t believe there are any "non-hacky’ ways to achieve this effect. I’ve read numerous topics on this and each topic came to the conclusion that this is the best possible way.

1 Like

Unfortunately, cell shading is (as suggested by the name) a shader effect. Custom shaders are not supported by roblox.

If you wish, you could submit a feature request to request its addition to the effects category.

But for now, no you cannot achieve cell shading in roblox.

Maybe try using an alternative method which achieves a similar effect using the existing engine tools for now?

Rough;

In terms of performance, what kind of performance degradation could be expected on R15 characters?

Double the triangle count for cel shaded objects.

I made a thread for this, visit here for mine. R15 and R6 Cel Shading