Are using other peoples audio allowed?

Hi. My resources are a bit limited when it comes to audio publishing, and I have a few audios that I’d like to use. However, they belong to other people. It gives me the option to “grant” permission for the audio. However, when I click it, an error message is thrown in the output saying that it failed to be granted. So technically it does nothing. I’ve tried this on many audios, and the same result is there. Do I have to somehow download and convert every audio I want to an mp3 file and then publish it? Or am I dumb and there has been a way to use other people’s audio this entire time?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think you need their permission

How would I get permission? A lot of audio creators don’t allow you to message them.

1 Like

You can use any public audio assets you find on the Creator Marketplace. Some audios, however, may be private, and the uploader must grant you permission to use them.

I don’t have any idea of how to do that, try sending them a friend request or send them a message if you can

I’ve also ran into this issue countless times. There’s sadly not any recent updates on sharing audio files, so you’ll have to upload your own files for the time being. If anyone else has a different solution/experience, I’d love to be aware!

1 Like

Ouch. That sucks. Well, thanks for all of you guys’ help.

Unfortunately as of almost a year ago the audio marketplace is “temporarily” closed down so creators can’t give the general public access to their audio asset and Roblox has refused to provide an estimate for when they’ll re-enable it. The only public audio you’ll find for now is a small number of SFX that were exempt from last year’s privacy sweep that was abruptly done allegedly because of Roblox’s own negligence regarding copyright (and I’m a victim of it) and that despite the backlash Roblox had to confirm was “necessary”, along with the licensed Roblox / Monstercat catalog, which I think you can only use 250 of in a single game in addition to the monthly upload limits (100 for id / phone verified, 10 for almost everyone else) for sounds that you make yourself or download from the internet. You no longer spend Robux to upload, but instead spend one “upload credit” per file even if it is revoked for any reason.

Permissions are granted only once developer invites user that owns the audio to one of their places or if in group’s game, it’s the only way to grant for security reasons so the sound plays in a safe way, however a tool like BTRoblox allows you to download sounds from website but it seems broken at this moment.