Arendelle Castle WIP Thread

In this thread I’ll be chronicling the construction of my recreation in ROBLOX of Arendelle Castle, as seen in the movie Frozen. This thread will have a lot of pictures, from such diverse sources as my build, screencaps from the movie, concept art from the movie’s production, and the real-life inspirations for the castle. Because I’ve been working on the castle for a while now, this first post will be rather long, but future updates will be shorter. So sit back, pour a glass of hot gløgg, put on some appropriate music, and get ready to scroll through lots of pictures.

I began construction on April 28[sup]th[/sup], 2014. Normally I don’t record my progress when building things, but this project was an exception. I was building it for AnnaChomniak’s Arendelle group, and she wanted to see my progress, so I’d take a screenshot and send it to her.

First, here’s a screencap showing the entire castle at the end of the movie:

The first thing I built was the bridge, seen in the lower left of the above image. This connects the castle to the town, so it was a good place to start. The bridge has three arches, so I began by building one of them.

Once this was done, I basically copied it three times to form the entire bridge.

Here’s a movie screencap to compare it with:

After this, I went on to the main gate and gatehouse. The gatehouse sits at one end of the bridge, so it was a logical continuation. The white-and-brown stripes on the gate weren’t quite accurate to the movie, but they were close enough for now.

This is where I ran into my first real problem. I was using a free-model door opening script that AnnaChomniak had given me (which claims to use a rotate function by Anaminus), and it turns out that it didn’t move all that smoothly when each side of the gate had 80 pieces.

I tried and tried to fix it, but ultimately to no avail. Later I would experiment with replacing the white stripes with a decal, which seemed promising, but then CSG came out and I was able to bring each side down to nine parts. Until then, though, I put the problem on the backburner and moved on.

With the lower half of the gatehouse done, I started on the walls. The walls are essentially the same design all around the castle, a wooden rampart behind stone bricks walls with a slate roof overhead. Once I had the height of the wall’s roof established, I started on the upper half of the gatehouse.

With the gatehouse done, I moved on to the towers on either side of the gatehouse. Because they and their wall segments are identical, I built one side and then mirrored it. The curved windows on the tower were a real pain to do, and I ended up trying a few different methods (and in the end I think they were too big, but oh well). If I had had CSG at this point it may have been easier, but I was blissfully unaware it was even in development.

Once the tower was done, I continued down along the walls. Not only are the wall segments identical (except in length), most of the towers are too, which made this portion of the build mostly mirroring walls and towers and making them fit together.

Continuing along the south and west walls to the fat tower:

The wall segment with the weird triangle-roofed thing would eventually be revised into something resembling the correct proportions, but for now it was a bit too long.

At this point (around mid-May), I decided to take a break from walls and move on to the chapel, which will be the feature of the next post.

This is looking very nice.

Bro, don’t let it go.

When I began the chapel, at first I was building it within the already-built walls. However, Studio’s performance wasn’t very good, so I moved it to its own place for construction with the intention of putting it back in the main file when it was done. This proved to be a mistake, because without the walls to give me a sense of scale I built it, then scaled it up 200% because I thought the interior wouldn’t fit. Eventually I got the size worked out, but I learned a lesson that night.

The chapel of Arendelle Castle is a stave church, a style common in Scandinavia around the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It is primarily based off of Saint Olaf’s Church in Balestrand, Norway, which is a (somewhat) modern recreation dating to 1897.

Compare this image of the interior of Saint Olaf’s with this concept art from Frozen:

Building the chapel was somewhat challenging because in most scenes it’s off to the side and/or partially obscured by the walls. Armed only with those and two somewhat blurry scans from The Art of Frozen, I began on the exterior.

About here was when I moved the chapel to its own file, where I would continue to work on it until the interior was finished.

Building the spire and steeple on the roof:

Final exterior and concept art:

The walls of the exterior would later have their Material changed to Wooden Planks when it came out.

With the exterior finished I started on the interior. I began with the pews and staves (the wooden posts). Getting the spacing right was tricky but in the end it all worked out.

This was my first build where I really had to take dynamic lighting into consideration. The chapel was a little dim on the inside as I built it. The carpet in these next images doesn’t actually match what’s seen in the movie, but it gets pretty close and it’s good enough for now. It’ll probably be replaced in the future, though.

Once the chapel was done and I got the size settled, I moved on to the north wall, the subject of the next post.

Thank you.

Oh, I certainly don’t plan to.

With the chapel done, I finally began work on the north wall, which connects the fat tower to the gatehouse wall. This segment of the castle was rather tricky, because there are few scenes that show it and even fewer that show it from a good angle. About a third of it is a wall segment identical to the ones I had already built, but the rest is thicker and probably has living quarters or something inside.

The window in the second picture probably doesn’t actually have a crocus on it, but the upper half is never actually seen in the movie so I put one in anyway.

This segment of the castle still isn’t completely done, however I moved on to the keep because it attaches to the wall. After this I don’t have a lot of pictures and you can get a better idea of where it is now by visiting the place. I do have one picture of the front door, though:

Sometime in mid-July Constructive Solid Geometry was finally released, and I took the opportunity to union lots of pieces. This is reflected in the file size; n July 3[sup]rd[/sup] it’s 633 KB, August 3[sup]rd[/sup] it’s 2808 KB, and on August 13[sup]th[/sup] it’s 22,567 KB. At present (November 27[sup]th[/sup]), it’s 30,871 KB. This caused terrible problems because it was too big to upload from home (and it still is). My university’s internet can handle it, and until very recently so could my library’s. But I am still greatly looking forward to CSG streaming because of the reduced file size it promises to bring. It should bring other benefits too; if you have trouble connecting to Arendelle right now, it’s probably because 30MB of unions have to be loaded first.

I’ll be continuing to build this castle and post my progress here, although I’ll be away for the weekend so it’ll be some time before the next update. In the meantime, have a happy Thanksgiving if you live in the USA, and a happy Frozen Anniversary if you don’t (or if you do, of course).

I’m too lazy to read all of the text (sorry), but those pictures are looking incredible! I’ve been wanting to make this myself, but I’m not the best builder. I’m glad someone skilled like you was able to do it instead.

Are you still having trouble with that door script? I’d be happy to make you one (flexible to however you want to build the door), along with any other small scripts you may require. Why? Because I freaking adore Disney animated movies!

do you wanna build a castle?
doesn’t have to be a castle.

CSG solved the door problem (turns out moving 18 pieces is a lot faster than moving 160) but I appreciate the offer. I could use a better music script (one that allows skipping forward/backward, as well as muting) and an analog clock script, if you’re interested.

CSG solved the door problem (turns out moving 18 pieces is a lot faster than moving 160) but I appreciate the offer. I could use a better music script (one that allows skipping forward/backward, as well as muting) and an analog clock script, if you’re interested.[/quote]

My ROBLOX account is DaMrNelson and my Skype is MeBilly8440… do you want to shoot me a message on one of those and you can give me the details?

[quote]
My ROBLOX account is DaMrNelson and my Skype is MeBilly8440… do you want to shoot me a message on one of those and you can give me the details? [/quote]
Sent you a skype request.

Here’s a preview of my next update:

Really turning out nicely!

Lovely.

Thank you. I’ll be pausing further construction until CSG streaming is released (or until the upload timeout is increased) but I’ll be working on other things in the meantime and I hope to resume by the end of January, if not earlier.