Artboards and Prototyping in Adobe XD -- What They Are and How to Use Them

Intro

Hello everyone! Welcome to this weeks Weekly XD! Today we’re going to learn about Artboards and Prototyping! This topic may be posted a little early, but I’m not going to have time to finish typing it the next few days. These were originally two separate topics, but I decided to merge them since they go hand in hand. You’re going to learn what they are, how to use them, tips and tricks, the whole enchilada. Anyways, let’s get started with Artboards!

Creating an Artboard

Well, the first thing to do is obviously creating an Artboard! Select the artboard tool, and drag anywhere with your mouse to create one! Select the Artboard Tool and drag with your mouse to create one.

A few quick notes, once you have created an artboard, you have to put a shape in one to make it fully show up (shown in video). Once you fully create an Artboard, everything else becomes blank background. You have to create another one to fit something else. Moving on!

Guidelines

Guidelines are basically “invisible” lines that show up in XD, but not anywhere else. To create one, simply hover your mouse over one of the Artboard’s edges, and drag your mouse.

These are great for making multiple things line up.

Exporting

You can also export Artboards. Simply go to File > Export > All Artboards. This will export all of the Artboards, with a background, to the location of your choice, and the file type of your choice. These are great for exporting .SVG files that you want to send to a client.

Cropping

I use Artboards a lot just to crop things out. I can drag things to the edge, and it won’t show up. Once you have it all exactly how you want it, create a path tracing the edges of the Artboard. Select all of the children of the Artboard, and press copy. Now delete the entire Artboard. On the blank background you should have now, right click, and select paste. Select everything again, and press Control/Command + Shift + M. It should all look exactly like it did in the Artboard!

Now that you know about artboards, let’s move onto prototyping!

Prototyping

Prototyping allows you to simulate interactions between buttons and such. Notice if you click the prototype at the top, it may prompt you to create an artboard. This is because you prototype using artboards! I’m going to prototype a shop opening using the Simple Cartoon UI found in this course. Create two Artboards for this, exactly fitting the button you have, and another fitting the menu you want.

Now click “Prototype” at the top of your screen like I did in the video. Now we’re ready to start Prototyping!

Creating a Connection

To prototype, you have to “Connect” two Artboards to make them do things. Do you see the arrow coming off of one of your artboards? You can make that connect to one of your other Artboards. Click on it, and drag it into the other Artboard.

Congrats! You’ve made your first Prototype Connection. Before we see how this looks, let’s learn one more thing about connections.

Connection Order

Let’s try creating one more connection. I’m going to use another Simple Cartoon Menu. You’ll need another Artboard for this, to create another one, simply click “Design” at the top of your screen and make any necessary changes.

I already had another one created, but you get the idea. Let’s connect it to the first one. Now, be sure to select the first button, the one that says “SHOP” in the video, and click the play button. This lets you preview and record what you want. Let’s just preview for now. Check it out! You have a Prototype! But wait . . . Where’s the last connection you made? Well, try selecting the thing with the connection, then clicking play. There we go! That’s better! So to sum that up, the Prototyping starts with what you had selected. Want to know a little secret? Prototyping is great for showing testers, or anyone with feedback what the UI layout will look like without actually scripting it! Want to actually send it to them? Well, click the record button in the Prototyping window! It’ll record what’s going on! Congratulations! You have a successful prototype to send to people! If you want to see what it looked like recorded, here’s the video the Prototype recorded:

Outro

Well, thanks so much for reading! I’m leaving it up to you what the next tutorial(s) will be about! I have a plan, but leave a reply and I’ll add it!

10 Likes

Hey Let’s say I made a UI in adobe XD. How will I Import that in roblox studio and make them work.

you’d need to probably export them all apart, and make all the interactables imagebuttons

2 Likes

Basically just group the things you want to export, and then import them as an image button. This is actually going to be the topic of one of the upcoming tutorials. I’m sorry I can’t upload a video. I’m on mobile right now.

1 Like

Oh Well Okay I’ll wait for your upcoming tutorials. Thanks Man.

Thank you Dude. I’ll try to make some UIs In Adobe XD.

Hiya,
Your tutorial is very informative on how to use the bases of Adobe XD efficiently, I’m also a big fan of using it and you can create some really amazing stuff on it.

Some work I did in it.

Quick point regarding the mobile app photo, the development photo’s in it aren’t mine. They are from a USA I’m in owned by @c_oyote and was just a fan-based thing as I was very bored at the time of production

However in response to the earlier question from @prithvigill94, it comes with an export feature to either do all items at once or specific art boards at a time dependant on how you wish to do it.

It probably took me around 30 mins - 1 hour to get it right the first time and this is what I got from it and animating the GUI.

Studio Imports

But of course, this all depends on the complexity of the UI will change the amount of time it takes you to put in in RBLX Studio but as I’ve done it more I’ve gotten faster at it.

But overall, I agree with this tutorial and recommend Adobe XD to anyone who wishes to either learn UI Design or is looking for a new dedicated platform for it.

If anyone has any questions about the use of Adobe XD please feel free to ask myself or the owner of the post.

All the best,
Tom

2 Likes

Thank you Sir. Very nice of you.