Articles need serious work (three that I saw)

This is an atrocity.

Because it will likely be changed at some point and/or people may not want to click on it, I’ll briefly highlight it:

The link at the top, the ‘how to make a mesh’ tutorial, is only slightly better… I don’t want to berate anyone for doing a poor job, so even though I know who wrote them, I shan’t be naming them. I just need to draw attention to the fact that these sort of pages exist. This likely isn’t even slightly the place for this sort of thing, and I should honestly be PMing someone about it instead of posting this… but honestly I’ve pointed out a bunch of not really nitpicking details before, and they’ve gotten dealt with a lost faster than if I messaged individuals about it.

(Incidentally, that page should probably be removed entirely, as it’s not really viable to keep track of every mesh part on the site. This probably requires an editors attention.)

Also, this shouldn’t exist.
######all i wanted to do was get to the page on MeshID…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure how useful the second two articles are. As for the first one, I dunno. With the advent of user made meshes, how important is it really to maintain a list of ROBLOX produced ones? I’m open to feedback on this

1 Like

I don’t really think any of these articles are worth keeping around. They would take more effort to fix up than they’re worth, in my opinion.

The first article is defunct now, for the exact same reason you stated. The second one could be useful if it were changed to be a more general tutorial on how to actually make and upload a mesh as opposed to insert one.

Don’t know about the last one though. It was never really important to know the save format for mesh files, so I don’t know why it was created to begin with, but it certainly serves no purpose right now. It could potentially be changed to be about supported mesh format(s) for user created mashes, but honestly I don’t think that’s worth the effort.

I’m all for the deletion of all three, honestly. They may have once served a purpose (at least the first one), but they don’t really anymore.

Fortunately we have an article on how to upload meshes. Added a redirect to the second page and removed the other two.

Out of curiosity, what is the file extension for that mesh file format on the last page? Also, what were the data types of the numbers?

.mesh if I recall correctly. Used to be a page on the wiki regarding an exporting system using anim8or, but that’s been removed (I assume).

You can see that .mesh files follow that format by opening one of the old mesh files on the site in a script via putting the id into the LinkedSource. For example, rightleg.mesh turns into: http://pastebin.com/yi747b8D.

As to what data type… hmm? You mean of the numbers themselves? They were just numbers. The example has upwards of 6 decimal digits, but I’m not sure if there’s a hard limit. If you mean the format of the mesh file, it was:

version [number]
[number of triangles]
[Coordinate of first vertex ] [Normal vector at first vertex ] [texture location at first vertex][Coordinate of second vertex ] [Normal vector at second vertex ] [texture location at second vertex]…Ad infinitum

1 Like

I was just wondering if it was like float vs double, or just a raw text number

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.