Artificial throttle when publishing multiple times

My game has multiple places within an experience and they all use the same place file ( using game.PlaceId to run specific code for that area of the game ). I do not use Team Create. When using the publish feature in studio, Roblox also seems to have an artificial 20 second throttle for loading the publish menu.

Every time I want to update my game, I have to go to File → Publish, find my experience in the list, then select a place within that experience and repeat for each subsequent place within that experience. I have to do this again and again for each place within my experience every time I want to update my game, right now there are 10 different places within my experience I have to update each time I want to release an update. After publishing to one area of my game and I go to File → Publish again, the Publish menu gets stuck on a loading screen for 20 seconds each time ( this throttle goes away if I have not published in a while ) As I add more areas in my game, this whole process takes longer.

If I have to address a small bug after releasing an update, I have to do this all over again. It takes up a lot of time.

Expected behavior

I would like the old behavior where the publish menu does not get stuck on a loading screen for 20 seconds, or ( feature request ) an ability to publish to multiple places within an experience at the same time.

( I get stuck on this screen for 20 seconds after publishing, it happens all the time and I believe it is a Roblox throttle to prevent publishing spam )

A private message is associated with this bug report

1 Like

To combat this, I wrote a Python script to use the new place API to publish to all of my places.
My game uses the same code for each place, if yours does the same then this could be an ideal fix for you.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this @alexnewtron

I followed up internally and it looks like we don’t have any throttling on the publish endpoint. This is just normal latency on those particular operations despite our efforts to optimize them.

I’ve notified our product manager about this issue and in general we are looking to provide better ways for our developers to do publish operations like yours however I can’t promise any timeline for improvements.

In the meantime, I highly suggest you look into authoring your own publish scripts using the Roblox Open Cloud API like 4gg suggested above.

1 Like

@alexnewtron I looked into it a little more. I was not able to reproduce the 20s loading times you mentioned after repeatedly publishing 5 times in a row. The normal delay to load the games I was referring to should more be on the order of 1-2 seconds which is what I saw.

Just confirming, the delay is on the 3 dots when you attempt to publish to an existing experience and the publish window is loading all your existing experiences right?

I’ll pull on this thread a little more, but it’s hard since I can’t reproduce it myself. Based on how you described your workflow, a publish script using open cloud sounds like an appropriate solution to this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.