Asian Style Roofs: Alignment guide

NOTE: This guide was created in anticipation for Xiayurei's Asian style roofing tutorial, so anyone that wants to learn the method on how to make the roof first, you should probably wait for that.

Dilemmas

This is generally not needed when building roofs with the conventional method using only parts as the skating effect only impacts roofs where special geometry is used for the tiles.

Figure 1

Description

Nice roofing with no wrongdoings to be seen. It all matches, and looks relatively nice. Nice, simple parts and cylinders. Nothing is bad here. Clearly.

Figure 2

Description

Argh! Look at what lays underneath! Lies! Fowl play! These wrongdoings have clearly slipped off the rails! They are everywhere! How could this happen? This is a problem that needs solving! This needs solving now!

In Figure 2, I’ve coloured every second tile in order to highlight the boundaries between each tile, and as you can see, it skates off the rails! Although it may not be that large of a problem at all, this can be an issue in using tiles with unique geometry; such as when a depression in the tiles needs to be maintained throughout each of the cylinders as can be seen below:

Figure 3

How to solve this?

NOTE: Curved section and other areas have had their value changed for higher contrast. SIDENOTE: This entire thing needs that you have created two different meshes for your roof, one being the tile itself and the other being the cylinder, otherwise this doesn't really work.

1. First duplicate a section, and offset it by half the tiles width from the curved section of the roof as is seen below:

1. Re-sync the tiles using Archimedes.
    You will need to use half the angle used to create the initial curved sector; I used 6 degrees so the angle I used to re-sync the tiles was 3.

1. Follow up your original angle to finish the curve.
    The original angle I used was 6 degrees, so the angle I used to follow up on the curve was 6.

1. Fill it up, and repeat for the other side, or through other means to fill in the entire roof.
    I used Stravant's Model Reflect to mirror the tiles, although it did require a little fiddling with SBS to fix it afterwards.

1. Replace all of the meshes with your cylinder mesh through the properties tab.
    This is the part where you need two meshes.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 214201

1. Use SBS to fiddle with the meshes using RotateObject and ResizeWorld.
    Well, I mean, you don't strictly need to use RotateObject and ResizeWorld, or SBS, but ya know, just do it.

1. Stare in amazement at the perfection which is your roofing! Cry of happiness! JUST LOOK AT THAT PERFECT ALIGNMENT. THIS IS GREAT.

It’s perfectly balanced, just as all things should be!

Goodbye! :poop:

SUPERNOTE: This is the first time I have ever written a community tutorial. I hope the instructions are easy to understand, because if they aren't then that's a very significant problem.

29 Likes

Wow! These rooftops look amazing!
I’m probably biased, seeing as I’m undoubtedly addicted to Anime and anything related to it, but the final result of these is marvelous.