Asset Manager : Unable to add already existing assets to game

As a Roblox developer, I rely on the Asset Manager widget to add & edit assets associated with my experience. However, there is a critical piece of functionality missing from this widget. We are currently unable to add already existing assets to the asset manager. The only way to associate assets with a experience is to upload directly from the filesystem while connected to a experience’s universe with the asset manager. This makes it impossible to associate old assets with an experience, requiring us to re-upload all assets again when making a new experience.

I need this functionality as a developer so that I can cover & handle these cases at-scale:

• A developer on the team uploaded an asset outside of studio (legacy develop pages, open-cloud APIs)
  • Moving assets from one experience to another (possibly even SHARING them)
  • Migrating to using the Asset Manager, when it was previously un-used for an experience

Ideally, we would have the ability to do this for individual assets, or a large amount of assets in-bulk, to cover the 3rd usecase in the list above.

10 Likes

Just ran into an issue today which surfaced this issue to me, I was importing a bunch of audios when the entire creator side of Roblox went down for a few seconds, while all my audios were successfully uploaded and my quota was reduced, none of my audio were associated with the asset manager and were left stranded un-associated from any game, which forced me into doing one of these terrible options:

1. Deal with the fact that these audio will never appear in the asset-manager and accept that it will make my development process much slower.
  2. Re-upload the assets using up extra slots on my audio quota.

As you can see, both of these options are bad and overall damage my production-flow as a developer, this not only applies in the scenario of Roblox going down (such as my example), but also if I wish to use the same asset in multiple games. For ease-of-use, in-order to get them in the asset manager, I must re-upload them using up any quotas I may have.

3 Likes