Asset Marketplace should be back

Hi. The Asset Marketplace used to be a category for selling builds and such for anyone who doesn’t know, but was removed for logical reasons, but instead of fixing those issues, they decided to remove the whole category. This was really detrimental to me and a lot of other developers who faced a major issue when being contacted for work - being ghosted. The devforum offers a great way for builders, scripters, and more to get contacted for work, but some of these buyers decide that they don’t want a build, script, etc. anymore, and decide to deny or straight up ghost the person who put work into the project. This has happened to me numerous times and the Asset Marketplace allowed me to gain a profit from something otherwise useless to me. What are people supposed to do with something they made that they have no use for? I’m a builder, and now that the Asset Marketplace was removed, I can’t gain anything from something I’ve put time into, I just have to move on. I think the Marketplace should be back up and its issues fixed instead of completely removed so that developers who get ghosted or denied of a commission are able to receive something for the time they’ve put in instead of just being something nothing has been gained from.

4 Likes

The main reason it was removed was because people would use it to sell low quality builds or scripts for low prices, and in some instances stolen assets (only seen this once, and nobody bought it).
I think its better to sell services, not products. It feels more personalized, and its just better.

I totally get that, but what about the builders, scripters, etc. who get ghosted and end up with something they put time into that they have no use for?

Generally you should sell it in a 3rd party place.
Roblox is working on a better way to find developers to collaborate, so hopefully assets will be able to be sold there.
If the marketplace gets added there does need to be some kind of quality minimum, though.

Did people not get ghosted in asset marketplace?

Asset marketplace has no reason to return.

Not sure what issues you’re referencing here, but the category was problematic and more trouble than it was worth. It’s simply not possible to vet every single asset placed there for legitimacy, ensure that posts aren’t straying away from the expectations of the category, among other concerns.

Selling loose assets for projects is one benefit for the category, sure, but it doesn’t outweigh the amount of negative implications the category carries with it. It can be troublesome enough with the current Collaboration category - poor offers, arguments and other inappropriate behaviours*.

It’s unfortunate to hear that you’re getting ghosted during offers but that’s not the forum’s problem to resolve, that’s a private dispute between you and the client.

* See this post that I’m sure almost no one reads anymore:

Would also appreciate if you search before posting threads in the future. We’ve had a few discussions regarding the marketplace here that you could continue if you feel strongly about the category, though frankly it’s not worth the hassle restoring something that doesn’t work.

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=marketplace%20category%3A12

4 Likes

Asset marketplace should be its own product or embedded within Roblox itself. I’m strongly against putting it back on this forum because it doesn’t make sense to fit discussion management software against the kind of use cases and features that an asset marketplace needs.

Same reason why they’re working on a new product for collaboration management right now. Collaboration shouldn’t be on this forum either.

4 Likes

I’ve recently built a map for a commission and the person who commissioned it ghosted me after I finished it. It would be nice to have a way to sell this model somewhere on the Dev Forum, but I can understand why they wouldn’t want to add something like the Asset Marketplace back, but it would be useful, sometimes.