Asset Privacy in the Library

Hi Developers,

As you develop, we want you to have peace of mind that other users cannot discover and leak what you are creating before it is ready. We achieved our first milestone towards this goal recently by removing the ability to find unavailable items – assets that users did not intend to be public – from the Library. Users who want to view their own private assets can still do so from the Create page.

In the future we hope to expand these privacy protections to cover other parts of the product, e.g. the user inventory page. Let us know what you think, and whether further asset privacy improvements are important to you!

Special thanks to @someT42 for implementing this change.

133 Likes

A much much needed change to stop people from looking at all the audio files, decals and other assets before intended. I hate it when people look at my decals in the catalogue and can find my assets.

Does this currently also affect the Roblox catalogue for items? If it does this should be reverted instantly, as then we cannot find assets made by Roblox that are no longer for sale (e.g. Roblox Character Encyclopedia) meaning we can’t find gear/accessories that are off-sale for looking/reference and inserting into games.

11 Likes

Removing the ability to find items in the library is a good first step, but this is not a great solution for total privacy. It’s still possible to discover items that are off sale through other methods like iterating over all asset IDs.

In the future, it would be ideal if private assets would simply give an unauthorized user a 404 not found error and display no information at all about the asset.

36 Likes

I think this update will definitely help a lot once it covers the inventory page, as I know what it’s like to have people check your inventory often to steal whatever they can for their games.

4 Likes

We already have the ability to do this (Settings > Privacy)

This update is about keeping unauthorized users from seeing assets you’ve marked as “Not For Sale” in the library.

7 Likes

That hides all of your items though, which prevents you from trading, for example. Having the ability to hide only your development assets would be way more efficient, in my opinion.

23 Likes

No it does not.

Correct, this was never about total asset privacy. This is simply the first step.

13 Likes

Hasn’t this change been out for like over a month now? Seems like kind of a late post detailing the removal of that feature.

8 Likes

I believe this is the next step. I think you are referring to the change that allows us to hide our personal inventories. Asset Privacy in the Library

4 Likes

No, the tick box for Show Unavailable Items has been gone for well over a month in the Library.

7 Likes

Even if your assets are set to “Private” on the settings page, if you do a Google search, they can still show up. This is another serious bypass.

4 Likes

We removed the checkbox a while ago but then spent additional time cleaning up endpoints to prevent direct access.

8 Likes

I honestly don’t think they can do anything about that, other than completely removing the ability to find ANY assets, through google, private or not.

6 Likes

I believe that the option for showing Unavailable items should be visible if you are viewing assets created by ROBLOX. Many of the old audios by ROBLOX(IE: https://www.roblox.com/library/181358474/Horror-Lullaby-4 and https://www.roblox.com/library/227491111/Warp-Sound) are Offsale and with this change it makes it even more hard to find these audios, that or maybe all of the classic sounds can be set as free.

27 Likes

Thanks so much!!!

3 Likes

I embarrassingly and admittedly loved the ability to snoop through players’ inventories for assets for usable assets temporarily (mostly only audio, nothing else). That’s not to say that I’m against this update though - it certainly does bring joy to my eyes.

Asset privacy is good for many reasons:

• Keeping thieves like me from snooping inventories
  • Being able to keep your future plans a secret
  • Being able to comply with third-party licensing (especially when purchasing assets)
  • hiding your messy inventory full of hundreds of pages of scrapped work

Appreciate the update. I’m looking forward to know what else Roblox has in store for us on the asset forefront.

12 Likes

No more leaked assets in the library

3 Likes

This update is appreciated, as it IS a huge milestone. Now Developer’s have reassurance that any surprise update’s aren’t leaked.

Thanks, ROBLOX!

2 Likes

Sad but good sad since it broke the legacy catalog-

2 Likes

This is a step in the right direction. Discoverability is not as important as something like solving the private module issue well. I think overall the feedback here should help guide the team in the right direction.

Good change and good direction.

3 Likes