Asset Privacy & more control over stuff we upload to the platform

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to deal with people stealing my creations

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would minimize the number of bad actors stealing models.

Hey there, the whole purpose of this post is to request a feature that would save millions of creators from having their assets stolen.

What I wanna start off with, is, that with the new upcoming asset privacy and permissions feature that’s been teased at RDC 2023, would be nice to have more stuff we can do with our assets, I’ll attach an image below with 3 options I feel like would be needed

(example shown with a decal)

• Un-private/private asset:
    While these assets can still be seen if spawned in-game, only those with permissions can export these through studio, download the asset resource on their device or see other versions of the asset. This would prevent a lot of people from stealing meshes & textures through Roblox studio

• Download:
    This is self explainatory, users can download .png, .obj & .ogg of the files they upload (or perhaps the asset in the extension roblox converted it to, eg. uploaded .obj, downloads .mesh)

• Delete:
    Would delete the item from the catalog forever.
    This would be a very needed option for our assets, because right now, archiving only makes the asset unusable until the creator decides to un-archive it. Allowing people to fully delete assets off their platform would be a very needed feature, not just for game assets but also for avatar items & would prevent people from getting botted DMCAs, as well as saving the Roblox platform from a potential lawsuit. [Avatar items would require robux to be deleted that should be used to go back to refund those who purchased the item]. A lot of other platforms allow their users to fully delete assets, such as videos or other media they upload, no reason why Roblox shouldn’t do the same.

Main reason for this request, is because right now I’m dealing with a lot of people not trying, but succeeding in stealing my models by using studio’s built-in 3D export feature.

Trying to export privated assets, would give the user an error similar to: “Warning: 1 or more assets you’re tying to export are private. Do you want to continue without exporting these assets?” and if they choose yes, the entire model is exported without the privated assets

All the privated assets should also only be visible to people with permissions, similar to models.
Currently images can be seen & downloaded by anybody on the platform.
(Uploader view)

(Other users’ view)

You can notice, the asset in question is an image, not a decal or model, so it can be seen on the Roblox’s page.
Additionally, depending on what browser the users are using (I’m using Microsoft Edge for this example), you can also download the image and save it in your computer.

This shouldn’t be allowed because this is how many people are having their assets stolen, and at this point it’s ridiculous we don’t have a proper way of protecting our assets.

Yes we can send copyright takedowns, but sometimes those are also not working properly, and unless you are a company, the DMCA takedown proccess will be so painful. Not all of us afford to pay people or even buy bots to actively check for stolen content, and it’s a very consuming part of our day, so why not having our stuff protected as much as possible to begin with?

I’m hoping there’s enough information provided in this post and I know many would agree with some changes needing to be done, and I can’t wait to see what the assets privacy & permissions feature is going to bring up. Hopefully some of the features I’ve mentioned above could also make it into the new update as currently Roblox faces a lot of troubles when it comes to assets privacy & copyright protection.

EDIT: (forgot to mention when I first posted)
The AI texture creator should also avoid making textures for private meshes, because currently, you can use the AI texture creator on user-made meshes, and they will be re-uploaded under your account, making it very easily to steal meshes and reupload them as marketplace avatar items & profit off other people’s work.

16 Likes

Speaking of asset privacy… just had one of my models stolen and reuploaded into the catalog

(mine)

(copy)

I’m hoping that UGC avatar items & linked assets will be blacklisted from getting exported in the future

3 Likes

Asset privacy for decals and models (or at least scripts in models) is long overdue.

Newly uploaded “private” decals should by default not be visible or usable by others even if the asset ID is leaked. (If an image was visible people would be able to copy it) and asset owners should have full control over whether they’re using the image only in their own games or sharing it with the rest of the community.

I am NOT saying that the majority of existing assets should automatically be made private like what happened to a certain asset type.

1 Like

Unfortunately, just by displaying the asset; the asset will need to be downloadable to the user’s device via a web api. The users who truly want to be malicious will continue to be able to grab your assets just via different means. You could make it really convoluted to do so, but again, there will always be a vulnerability to abuse. That’s just by the nature of the assets being displayed to other users.

Could this be more problematic for legitimate use-cases in which users may want to export their own avatar out of Studio? It seems like this could create a bigger problem in where UGC creators are constantly messaged to get an exported version of their assets for use in gfx pieces.

Afaik, Roblox doesn’t serve mesh assets in any format usable outside of Studio. They instead store them in a proprietary format specific to Roblox, so for meshes, a different, more usable asset format would probably be preferred for this.

Could this be more confusing given that the current usage of ‘private assets’ (IE: audio) has much harsher restrictions (only the owner / those with permission may use the asset, full-stop)

To make it clear, I do support asset privacy but don’t necessarily 100% agree with some of the proposals made here just because I see it hurting legitimate use-cases and/or not solving the full problem at hand.

I remember there was a reverse engineering of the mesh format which is working atm if you want to use it, not sure if I can link it here but you should be able to find it if you search it up