AssetCredits - Give credit for toolbox assets in your game

When I’m making games I often use decals or meshes from the Toolbox in my game. It’s super convenient for speeding up the development process, but it has its drawbacks. Once I’m finished with a project I have no clue how to give credit to all the creators who so generously let me use their open-source assets!

Now, maybe you are concerned with possible copyright issues, or maybe you just want to kindly acknowledge other developers for their work. Either way, AssetCredits is the plugin for you!

What does AssetCredits do?

I’m glad you asked! When you press the generate button, the plugin goes through all the instances in your game to find Roblox asset ids. Once it has a huge list of all the ids, it uses Web calls to check whether the asset is created by you, the game creator, or whether it is somebody else’s work. Once the whole scan is complete, you have the option to compile that data into text form using 4 different possible display methods!

See it in action!

Answers to your questions:

Q: Can this detect free models?
A: Yes, and no. While the plugin does detect asset ids uploaded to the Roblox website, there is no possible way for it to detect free models in the form of Parts and Unions.

AssetIds it detects
  • Clothing
  • Sounds
  • All images found in particles, textures, decals, tools, and GUI instances.
  • All meshes found in Meshparts and SpecialMeshes
  • Animations
  • CharacterMeshes (not super useful but its supported)

Q: Is it free?
A: yes yes yes

Q: Can it detect asset ids found inside of scripts?
A: the plugin originally had the ability to do this, but after it kept flunking web calls (due to passing script variables like 123) I decided to remove support for script searching. I may add support for this later, though.

Q: The generation process takes like 5 minutes long in my game! Why isn’t it faster?
A: I am currently using web calls to retrieve data on each asset id (such as the creator’s name and asset name). When I send these web requests with little to no break in between, the rate of failed web requests skyrockets. So, in order to prevent failed requests, I have to add a cooldown between each request, which is the cause of your extended scanning times.

Given the nature of this plugin, I should probably give credit to @GuestCapone and @Schematics for some of the source code found in their modules. :grin: This is my first plugin ever so please give me some feedback, all are welcome!

Install the plugin for free below.

https://www.roblox.com/library/5008136811/Asset-Credits

Bonus

Here’s a credit list from the testing place that was raw copy-pasted.

Decals

• User “RaphMonsterz”

• User “TheAssassin5885”

• User “Cuaroz”

• User “Firefoxies1”

MeshParts

• User “capperus”

ImageLabels

• User “Stelrex”

• User “ZacBytes”

ImageButtons

• User “Stelrex”

Sounds

• User “lucky_gamer123W”

Check out my other open-source releases:

44 Likes

Amazing Plugin.

30 Characters.

3 Likes

Not for nothing, this does make your title a bit misleading. Since really it’s only useful for detecting meshes and decals. Really neat plugin though and is still certainly useful!

1 Like

The title says give credit for free model assets, not free models in general. Regardless, I see your point and I’ll change the title.

About the relevancy of this plugin, its biggest use is in original game projects when you are making everything from scratch. If you are claiming that you used no free models but forgot that you used a few toolbox decals/meshes, it could be a problem for your reputation! Or, maybe you just have a personal goal to not use toolbox assets. This plugin is helpful in both scenarios.

I’’ add this to the OP, but it detects alot more than just decals and meshes.

Stuff it detects
  • Clothing
  • Sounds
  • All images found in particles, textures, decals, tools, and GUI instances.
  • All meshes found in Meshparts and SpecialMeshes
  • Animations
  • CharacterMeshes (not super useful but its supported)
1 Like

Thank you, this is brilliant! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello, wow, I can’t say something else. This would save my life (or my project one lol) since I’ve got some developer who keep putting free models on the game (even with a portfolio !) and that’s would simply let me focus on my tasks instead of playing the policeman with them. Thanks again!

1 Like