Assist with finding a LoopRegion for looping music

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find good looping points for a LoopRegion for looping music. We need to either make a guess, or use external tools and then we need to manually put the numbers from the tool back into studio. This is annoying busywork which means developers are largely ignoring the vast polluted ocean of all those 1-minute or 90-second stock music tracks (or they are driving their poor players insane by making them listen to the quirky outro grooves a thousand times over).

All of this is just not worth bothering with when you can find a nice 2- or 3-minute track instead so you don’t need to think about looping at all.

:rotating_light: MINOR NOTE

This looks like a job for the :sparkles: Studio AI assistant! I want to be able to ask it to find looping points for the currently selected audio, preview its suggestions, pick a good one, and I want it to put the numbers into the LoopRegion property for me. The whole procedure should take like 20 seconds. Right now it takes a few minutes and that’s a lot of time to add one piece of background music!

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to use all the 1-minute stock music much more painlessly. You would see a lot more diversity in the stock music used all over the platform, because people wouldn’t be limited to just the 2- or 3 minute tracks anymore. Thank you.

2 Likes

With the new DistroKid music and so on, properly looping tracks in-game is now more relevant than ever. But nobody cares because there is no actual workflow for doing this in studio. And that’s why this thread is dead.

So I’ll reiterate, with no sugarcoating this time:

Please put this MIT licensed code on your servers. Make it accessible to your AI assistant. And then tell your investors that you taught your AI how to loop music.

Thank you.

Hey @Visleaf – a couple of ideas for you.

1. I wrote a tutorial on guessing looppoints in audio tracks based on BPM that might be helpful.
  2. To get exact loop points you really need to look at the waveform, find the exact start to the beat transient at the beginning and end, and test it, which is not permitted with Roblox stock audio.
  3. See our dev forum post on our Audio Discovery Tool which has a waveform display which might help you get part of the way there.

DM me if you need more help!