Attempt to make something like Ultrakill

one of my friends told me to make a track that’s somewhat similar to cybergrind, and so I made one

(track got updated, i hope it sounds okay now)

2 Likes

Oh boy, here we go!

The panning so greatly displaced and makes the chaotic mess just chaotically nice. Although, there seems to be some instrument width that just doesn’t quite line up like the overdriven electric guitar at 1:08. You should try using any doubling technique, which essentially sounds like a delay that goes left and right.

As chaotic this salad sounds, remember sometimes less is more. All was fine until 0:22, where trying to switch focus between instruments is hectic enough. The sidechaining noise at 0:45 seems to cut through the highs a lot(or is it the lows?). Also the chaotic salad seems to make the bass very hard to hear, but you can still feel the bass.

I like how the drums are arranged, the rhythms are just perfect chaos. Maybe you should try sidechain compressions to the drums to make the drums pop a little. The bass kick has neat transients, but the same cannot be said for the snare, seems a bit too long apparently? It could increase enveloping to make more room. Especially in high tempos, the enveloper settings are usually shorter decay and release as necessary to “squeeze” in the track. Kick seems a bit too wide for its good, an idea is to centralize it and then pan it with automation.

Vocals can use more high-pass filter for interesting radio chatter style.

Overall loudness is maybe a tad too loud to enjoy repeated replays, as I have already replayed it 3 times to get the gist that it sounds great structurally, but technically has issues.

1 Like

Alright I have updated the track, hopefully it sounds alright, cause mixing is not my specialty (I’m still trying to learn how to get better on it)

1 Like