Audio Output Doesn't Change With New Outputs

(This bug is relevant to devices that create new audio outputs, such as my Sony MDRXB950BT headphones on Bluetooth)

Step 1: Open the Roblox client in a game using one audio output.

Step 2: Turn on/connect the audio device that creates a new output.
Step 3: Audio output of Roblox does not change.

Can confirm. This bug is rather annoying.

2 Likes

It appears to be fixed for me with my Sony headphones. Anyone else able to confirm?

Why does this bug still exist 4 years after it was first reported??

All throughout this video, music is being played thru the headphones even though output is being changed to the speakers

1 Like

Not sure if this is a but or if just developers did not implement this feature, but it would be great if it was fixed. It is very annoying, especially if you put on headphones or change the audio output. From the moment Roblox is launched, it automatically switches the output to the computer’s default. After that, it will just stay there, regardless if the computer’s default output device has changed. This is exactly why this bug exists. It would also be neat if you could control the audio output from either in-game (as mentioned in this thread: Client to respect changing audio devices), or just automatically switch to the application’s default output device (which in Windows can be configured through the “App volume and device preferences”)

Image of Setting

Those of course are other things to discuss about in other topics, but it is really annoying currently because in order to switch the output, you have to leave the game and rejoin. Please fix this. Thank you.

This bug still has not been fixed. It makes it very difficult to record or stream ROBLOX because it is impossible to separate the game audio from the rest of my desktop audio which I do not want recorded/streamed.
Not only does ROBLOX choose the audio device when the game client is opened and does not respect any audio device changes while open, but it also seems to always choose the default audio device even if you set it to use an audio device that is not the default. When I close and re-open my game client, it never uses the audio device that I set it to use unless it is the default device, so the workaround proposed in some of the above replies does not work for me.
There are more examples of this bug here.

Yeah. The only workaround that has worked for me so far is setting the default output device to whatever I want it to be, launch Roblox, and then switching it back to whatever I had it before. There are a few cases where this is not needed, such as sometimes when connecting headphones via a headphone jack to a laptop or computer or some special type of output device, but those are very few and should not be variables we depend on. Roblox needs to fix this, or at least give us a choice to change the default device. With the new In-Game Topbar (if it will ever be added), I’m sure it would fit wonderfully under the Advanced Settings tab. I am just disappointed that Roblox had not fixed this yet.

Also,

This is the exact post I mentioned in my reply,

It would be nice if Roblox did implement something like this.

Here we are, seven years later. I’m honestly not even surprised at this point haha
Hope to see a fix soon – but at this point I don’t think Roblox is ever going to fix it.

Not to mention similar issues such as this.

Roblox audio is such a mess at this point.

Three months into 2024 and this still isn’t solved. I’ve now only just ran into this problem on a recently bought laptop and there’s absolutely nothing I can do to make roblox studio go through my headphones. Thought it was a windows 11 problem until I found somebody with a very similar problem on windows 10.