Audit most useful widgets to have open on first Studio usage (not terrain editor)

As a Roblox developer, I want to create and publish a game as easily and quickly as possible, reducing steps and widgets I don’t (yet) care about at the first stage of development.

When I open a fresh install of Studio and create a new game, the terrain editor opens up by default. This is not useful to me because I was not planning to edit Terrain, and I think for the majority of projects Terrain comes in at a later stage rather than being one of the first stages.

A typical workflow is to create a new game from template and publish it to a place slot so other team members can come in and collaborate on it.

Therefore it would be better for my workflow to have had it open the game explorer (or whatever replaces it, I think there’s an active beta for something related to it) since I want to upload some assets and maybe create some places in the universe as one of the first steps of my new project (as an advanced user).

The game explorer also clearly has a “Publish” button on it before it is usable, which leads to a nice few-click flow for the use case above if this were the window that is shown by default.

Roblox Studio teams should audit what windows make the most sense to open on a fresh user/install for a new game project. (if it does end up being the terrain editor, I’d be very surprised, but I think it’s more likely to be the toolbox or the game explorer)

7 Likes