Auto-Indexer | Automatically Index Instances

Have you ever been just about to build something but then you realise that the names have to be indexed and you really just can’t be bothered changing the name for every… single… part…?

IT’S YOUR LUCKY DAY!!

Thanks to the new Auto-Indexer which automatically indexes the names of instances under the parent you decide. Just choose a parent, click run and voila! Simple as that!

Tutorial

If my extremely detailed tutorial in the introduction wasn’t enough to help you understand how this plugin works or what it does. Or if you’ve downloaded the plugin and it makes no sense to you then you’re in the right place!

Why Do I Need This Plugin?

Quite often in games, people need to number objects, and when you need to do this manually, it gets boring really quick. So I have decided to create a plugin that does this automatically for you as you’re building.

How Do I Use the Plugin?

If the UI is too complicated for you to understand then here is a short ‘manual’ of how to use the Auto-Indexer.

Choosing the parent object - To do this, open the explorer widget if it isn’t already and then select one object. If it is successful, you will see the name of the object appear in the little window of the plugin.

Enable automatic indexing - At the very bottom of the plugin widget, you should see a big green button that says ‘Run’ on it. Making sure you have a parent object selected, click the button and it should turn red, this means it is now running.

Disable automatic indexing - At the very bottom of the plugin widget, where the ‘Run’ button was there should now be a big red button that says ‘Stop’ on it. Click this to stop running Auto-Indexer and now parts will no longer be automatically indexed under the parent object.

Sounds good… but what about the cost?

Absolutely 100% free! You shouldn’t need to pay for every little resource that you need which is why the Auto-Indexer will stay free forever! (Haven’t we all heard that before…) But seriously, we will never ask for any donations or anything for this plugin and will have the source code uploaded to GitHub for you to make any edits you want.

Future Plans

Currently, Auto-Indexer is at the stage of: it works but could do with some more advanced features. So currently it’s at version 1. In the future though, I could be adding some of the following to the plugin. (And anything you guys suggest below)

• Prefixes and suffixes - Instead of just numbering instances you could add a prefix/suffix (or both) if you have a special naming system.
  • Custom starting index - instead of automatically starting at one or the highest number found under the parent plus one, you can pick which number to start at.

Feel free to make any edits to this project, it’s open-sourced on GitHub and you can find the link to it below as well as the plugin page. Please leave any feedback/suggestions below - I will read through every single one of them and I hope you enjoy using this plugin.

Roblox GIF

Resources

Plugin page
Open-source GitHub file

If you think I accidentally missed something please tell me, thank you. :smile:

Update Log
  • 2022-11-05T07:12:00Z: Fixed a major bug that made it so that you couldn’t index more than 10 instances at one time.
3 Likes

Pretty simple but cool, would be very useful for anyone who needs it

1 Like

Auto-Indexer V1.1 is here!

• Patched a major bug that made it so that you couldn’t index more than 10 instances at one time.

Look out for future updates and please leave any suggestions or feedback below!