[Auto Migration enabled] New system for storing Physics Geometry for Part Operations and Mesh Parts released!

My Studio is now crashing every time I upload a Mesh.

• Sometimes the Mesh gets uploaded, sometimes it doesn’t.
  • If I upload the same mesh as an FBX instead of an OBJ Studio crashes outright with no warning message, the window just closes instantly.

I would greatly appreciate anyone looking into this issue as it is preventing me from doing my job.

Loading a game with high mesh counts was never a big issue, to be honest, but I hope this helps games that have performance issues with meshes.

Can you share the .fbx with me via PM?

I can confirm on my end too. Whatever you did in the past few hours, I’m definitely noticing a performance boost on all of my union and mesh-heavy games.

2 Likes

It sounds like you accidentally did a bigger improvement than you think.

3 Likes

Also having this problem. Not sure what might be causing it, I’ll continue to test and see though, hopefully can help you narrow it down.

Not sure if you fixed it or not but it seems to work now. I had to reopen studio so much to the point that it made me log in through the browser, then my attempt after that was successful but just in case you haven’t fixed it on your side I’ll explain what I did:

Reopened studio, had to log in through browser due to logging on through studio too many times.
After studio was logged in, I opened my place and imported the meshes again, skipping the highest detail mesh this time, instead of importing in bulk. (Highest detail mesh was an Obj with 3,960 triangles)
The lower triangle count meshes uploaded fine, so I uploaded the highest detail one afterwards. It all was successful.
Note, I did put the rendering qualities on Level06 earlier.

I understand it was spotty, but currently I can not… use meshes at all? unless their collision fidelity doesnt matter anyway (in which case I would just use box), the new geometry is virtually unusable.

2 Likes

not sure if this is related but collision models are very messed up now. They used to be perfectly fine, but are completely unusable now
Capture Capture2

The collisions used to look like this before
Capture

5 Likes

Our love for meshes knows no bounds, especially in the fallout genre

This faster loading is great for a physics based project I’m working on which will use Mesh Parts and Unions. Are there currently any plans for improvement on Mesh Part collisions?

1 Like

I’m also having issues with the decomposition geometry. I have a U-shaped mesh, and decomposition geometry is nothing like the mesh whatsoever. https://www.roblox.com/library/3250431797/roof-bezel

there are no polys that face down except on the light bezel.

Could you PM me some of these models? I want to verify something.

Also, please make sure you have latest version of studio! If File -> About Roblox Studio says version less than 387, you should have updated.

UPDATE:
@NWSpacek
@Awes_3
@Injanity

Turns out the issue with geometry seems to be from MeshPart LOD feature. This has been disabled. Can you try re-generating the physics data again?

I’m making a bug report for our 3D geometry team!

4 Likes

Here’s a newly-imported version: https://www.roblox.com/library/3254195009/roof-2

Auto-migration enabled, I’ve updated the original post with details.

3 Likes
  • MeshParts and Unions in ServerStorage should no longer replicate physics data to Clients when joining. They will only replicate physics data if they are moved to a container that Client needs to know about.

Does this also work if they are in ServerScriptService instead of ServerStorage?

Is there any particular reason the engineers would need to do this for ServerScriptService? If you have parts you want to store on only the server, then they should be placed in ServerStorage. ServerScriptService is designed for the secure storage of scripts and nothing more.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.