Levels of Detail for Mesh Parts

So I’m not sure if anyone else is facing problems like this, but after changing my flashlight to Automatic, it will not revert after changing it to Precise, EVEN AFTER RE-IMPORTING THE MESH. This is a huge problem with the game I have because placing the object in a viewport frame will now produce an object like this

ViewportFrame%5B1%5D

ViewportFrame%5B2%5D

instead of this

Viewport

If anyone knows of a fix to this issue, please let me know :slight_smile:
Once again, this does not happen until I put the item in the viewportframe. In the workspace, it looks just fine.

1 Like

Hi, this is a currently listed bug which is going to be fixed in the patch sometime this week/next week

1 Like

That’s not the issue - the issue is that I need a humanoid object in order to make my model a rig.

Ideal for devs if they wants to add in their games the low graphics settings option, so meshes will not be detailed as it is at max settings in their games.

yyYYYESSS!! This is fantastic, thank you!

This is getting frustrating. Not only are MeshParts in Humanoid rigs broken, but MeshParts in ViewportFrames are broken, too!

(Left: MeshPart in a ViewportFrame. Middle: MeshPart in a Humanoid rig. Right: What it should look like using a SpecialMesh)

This only happens with MeshParts that were released after this update (or at least, close to when this update was released)!

Also, and this is just speculation, this might also be the reason why MeshParts that have been uploaded recently have awful collision meshes.

(normally the collision mesh generation is much smarter than this!). Related:

7 Likes

I’m still awaiting a fix for the distorted Meshparts when placing in a Humanoid. Progress on my games has been on-hold ever since this has came out (which is 17 days ago), and my community is beginning to feel impatient. I am unable to do anything about it. All my games rely on rigs which are made out of Meshparts, and are forced to have a Humanoid object inside. This issue should be fixed ASAP, or at least make the option for LOD to be disabled on these types of models. I wouldn’t mind LOD just being temporarily removed from the platform altogether, while we await a fix for both Humanoids distorting mesh as well as the incompatibility with ViewportFrames. My community and I have been waiting nearly 3 weeks for a fix, and this issue has now become frustrating. I really hope this issue gets resolved soon.

5 Likes

Our game has been halted severely due to a bug troubles with meshparts, breaking their collisions and what not.

Hopefully this gets resolved tomorrow, with either a patch or the update released on Friday being disabled for a little bit.

2 Likes

Possibly unrelated but I discovered something unusual when trying to make a decal for a meshpart:

Expected outcome is box projection mapping using the bounding box as the outer bounds for the projection.

2 Likes

WhoToTrus - can you provide more information on the related collision problems?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi, we’re already on it with @Khanovich !

3 Likes

Has LoD been disabled on new meshes? All my newly imported meshes don’t seem to have working LoD

(New meshes on the right)
gif

4 Likes

Yeah its temporarily disabled while a couple of fixes are in the process of being released.

7 Likes

Is LOD still disabled? Because I’m seeing LOD and it’s causing my cosmetics to wonk out.

2 Likes

Interesting. Should be helpful for a large portion of the community with less powerful devices.

This will be an awesome improvment for low-end/mobile users

Creation of new ones is disabled, but old ones still being rendered. If possible, you can reimport the mesh, otherwise the fix is scheduled to go out on Thursday.

6 Likes

I’m experiencing a bug where the LOD model is showing up for Meshparts with a RenderFidelity of Precise in two conditions:

1. If the mesh is a descendant of the character (i.e. tools)
    or
  2. The mesh is a descendant of a ViewportFrame

in both of these cases, I am always getting a broken LOD model, regardless of distance from the character/camera, and regardless of the fact that LOD is not even enabled.

Please fix this. This is making all of the weapon models/viewport frame models in my game look broken.

You can DM me for a repro.

We’ve just enabled an update that might fix this, can you try it now?

7 Likes

Everything seems to be working correctly now!
Both for humanoids, and for ViewportFrames. No crashes.
Awesome work! :smiley:

1 Like