Auto-path v1 , improvements

context

There was recently an interesting plugin made by Dvyz here , called Insta Path.

I decided to take inspiration and recreate it myself with additional features and functionality, I call it Auto-path.

Get it here:

Auto-path [plugin] - Roblox

[source]

A small project not to be relied heavily upon, may (will most likely) contain bugs

Features

I took @Hexcede’s suggestion on another post, and added an option to choose from double quotes and single quotes while indexing.

• Services are indexed through :GetService() calls always.

• Separation between data types, additional types soon.

• You can choose to either prepend all variables to an existing script, or to create a new one under workspace by clicking the ‘path’ button through the toolbar.

^ current features

works with dark theme too

Usage

1. Select items
  2. configure settings if necessary
settings I used right now

1. view script added to workspace, or click the ‘prepend to script’ button and then select a script.

Remember to use :WaitForChild() carefully though, it’s not always necessary (thus you have the option of turning it off whenever you need to).
There is somewhat undefined behavior when using WaitForChild() on instances with gaps in their names.

more screenshots of the plugin in use

^ empty script

selection:

Result, perpended to the empty script

current limitations

Note that camelCase currently does not function as intended, but it will be fixed soon so that objects that have spaces in their name are referenced through camelCase d variables.

^ warning, camelCase does not yield good results as of now
Will be fixed very soon

It’s a plugin meant to reference all objects for you .

If you have any suggestions for possible improvements, do reply.

2 Likes

This is nice! However, it seems to not make use of the variables it declares. Perhaps an idea for a future update. Your example declares ReplicatedScriptService as its own variable, but then gets the service again in later declarations, rather than reusing the ReplicatedScriptService variable.

How does this handle two Instances with the same name?

1 Like

doesn’t yet, if 2 instances exist under the same name then it’s an error already.

I made it work that way so that it doesn’t use too many variables, though I will change it so that it uses it’s own variables if that’s really necessary and a wanted feature

• make use of previously defined variables
  • declare each variable separately, starting at the top of an object’s ancestory

0 voters

I feel like the first option is a better feature now that I think of it, should be easy to implement now that it functions basically.

1 Like

Would be nice if there was the option for it to canonically fetch services and named children for consistency, using GetService and FindFirstChild.

Also not unnecessarily performing WaitForChild on instances that have already been waited for (e.g. Part in this example), which is waited for again on the Script line, but for some reason not waited for on the EmptyModel line?

From what you’ve shown so far it seems really inconsistent and incomplete, especially with the issues of camelCase and instances with the same name.

I’d have probably put this into #help-and-feedback:code-review while you’re still in the development feedback stage, as the Resources category isn’t meant to be used as a place to get feedback on your creations - it’s for completed and ready-to-use resources.

1 Like

yeah I was going to add a ‘repeat function chain count’, probably right it should be kept in code-review for the time-being.

GetService is called automatically on all services, do you mean an option to choose whether you want to use it?

Edit: Currently rewriting it in its entirety, thanks for the heads-up

Workspace you used the built in shorthand instead of GetService but all other services you use GetService.

Instead of a mix, I’d provide an option to be consistent for all of them.

1 Like