In long-running Studio sessions, Studio eventually stops auto-saving without warning.
This bug happens every time I have a long-running Studio session in a place with high memory use. I’m not sure exactly when this started happening. This is happening in a non-Team Create place.
I’m not sure if this is happening because Roblox encounters an error when auto-saving (due to high RAM use?) or if it’s because Roblox thinks that the game hasn’t changed since the last auto-save. When this happens, I am still able to undo/redo, so Roblox is logging changes.
This bug alone is not great, but it’s made worse when combined with another bug: “bad allocation”. The typical way this works out is:
- Studio session runs for many hours with many tests
- Auto-saving stops, without warning
- A few hours pass with no erroneous behavior
- Testing, saving, and publishing throws “bad allocation” or fails in general.
- I close Studio
- I check my AutoSaves folder, and the last auto-save was hours ago, but still from the same session.
- Since I’m not able to save or publish the game, and since there have been no auto-saves for the past few hours, I’ve just lost hours of work.
Auto-saves are supposed to be the backup for when Studio crashes or other bugs make it impossible to save work – such as “bad allocation”. Auto-saves aren’t doing this now, which defeats their whole purpose.