Autoformat hex colors without needing a #

As a Roblox developer its too annoying to have to keep adding # before hex colors from other programs.

While trying to move colors from other programs to studio such as Illustrator or Photoshop copying the hex codes does not usually contain the # at the start of the hexcode but the text infront of it.

Photoshop color picker Illustrator color picker

In studio pasting these codes without the # at the start causes it to do nothing as Roblox requires the # before text to clarify its a hex color, so you’d need to manually go and add a # at the start of each color code.

https://gyazo.com/7f4fd858a5c4e76ef5801bdf8cacc9e9

I’d like Roblox to function a bit closer to Adobe products, where you can just paste whatever you have copied and it will read it as a color.

Would be a lovely QoL change to anyone who uses hex colors a lot

11 Likes

Yes, yes, yes! Please make this a reality, not only a QoL improvement but also better for a lot of my workflows where I’m constantly copying and pasting colors from style guides or game color palettes.

Very overdue!

2 Likes

Isn’t that just the Windows built-in color picker though?
I don’t use Windows so I’m not completely sure but I’m pretty sure thats more of a Windows issue rather than a Roblox Studio issue.

I’ve seen many people complain about the color picker on Windows lately.

2 Likes

I agree, it’s quite annoying for me too when the color doesn’t change because of not adding a # before the HEX code.

I would also love a feature in which you can calculate in Roblox Studio instead of going outside of the studio and then calculating. Let’s say you have a part that is 12.6 studs long in the X-axis, and you want it to be half. But you don’t know the calculation so you have to go outside of the studio and then use a calculator to divide it by 2. But in Adobe programs and Blender, you can calculate within the programs which is a great feature and it also saves a lot of time.

1 Like

In the video, OP is using the Roblox properties panel to input the hex code, although the Windows color picker also has this issue.

This is a separate feature request.

1 Like

I fully support this, It will make RichText easier, like imagine I want to get the hex color code for this <font color="#ffffff">text here</font> and I have to use an external color picker, also why don’t roblox add Color3.HexColor(r : number?, g : number?, b : number?) : string like this:

script.Parent.TextLabel.Text = `<font color="#{Color3.HexColor(255, 255, 255)}">this is a test</font>`
1 Like