Autoreplace rbxgameasset:// to actual ROBLOX asset id

I have two places for a game, a testing version and the public version. I upload images through studio for use with rbxgameasset:// in the testing version, only to have it not load in the public version.

I have a suggestion, whenever you “Publish to ROBLOX as…”, it will replace all the rbxgameasset:// ids, may it be a decal or such, into the site id of the asset (rbxassetid). Therefore it could be a painkiller with many dozens of decals and ImageLabels in games, having saved the trouble of converting everything.

31 Likes

I really think they should do this, it’s a pain if I have a 1000 images in a group place that are locally uploaded in studio.

I was literally just about to make a post on this.

I completely agree with this suggestion - it’s an annoyance to have to go through each image and convert it to asset Id.

My suggestion, however, was to have it so you can choose to upload the images as Roblox Asset Id or as GameAssetId, and then have a button that auto-converts the image for you between both types.

Thanks for the feedback. We are going to fix this.

10 Likes

Thank you, felt like this needed to get fixed it’s such a pain because my game has tons of images and I need to include those in a module preferably as IDs.

Hey Devs. Thanks for the feedback. We have fixed this issue. Now, when you upload images in Studio, you can right-click and copy ID to clipboard and this will automatically give you the rbxassetid:// URL. Hope this fix helps!

20 Likes

This is a pain that I’ve learned to just work around for years. Thanks for fixing it.

Hey Devs. We are investigating a bug around this issue so for the time being, we are reverting to old behavior. When you right-click and copy ID to clipboard, this will go back to giving you the rbxgameasset:// URL. We will fix this problem as soon as we can and will keep this thread actively informed.

1 Like

We have restored the ability to right-click and copy ID to clipboard which will automatically give you the rbxassetid:// URL!

3 Likes

Any updates to when we could get this feature to come back out? For the short time it was out it was super useful to me.

1 Like

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to transport images from one game to another.

Currently, I’m attempting to create hundreds of images in one specific game and then later publish it in another. But attempting this just isn’t easy due to how game assets only work in the game I create the images on. This means I’d have to manually change each picture into their actual Roblox asset ID which does take a large amount of my day. Especially that I have to add the images, then transport them, THEN add them again, but with their asset ID. This isn’t just the only issue I’m having when dealing with many images that are added onto studio, but I will just start with bringing this feedback which is that it would be awesome if transporting a game, model or part that has game asset images, could just automatically convert into their Roblox asset ID.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because how it will save a whole lot of time for me and other developers too. The project I’m working on is pretty unique, so there aren’t as many developers having the same trouble I’m having, but I have noticed that this issue has been addressed in the past on this thread, and it apparently was fixed but is no longer working as of now.

Anyways, thank you for reading.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.