Avatar + Catalog Page Broken when using Private VPN

Hello,

I use a private VPN to prevent my personal IP address from being leaked when being online, which is mainly to mitigate DDoS attacks as my self hosted VPN is immune to them.

I noticed that I always get random HTTP 429 errors whenever some APIs are contacted, including the catalog as well as the avatar APIs.

If possible, could this be looked into, so I don’t have to keep turning my VPN on and off every two seconds in order to use the website?

Here’s an example of the problem:

6 Likes

Hi xhax,

Accessing Roblox over a private VPN (e.g. self-hosted) is generally not supported.
More HTTP 429 responses is an expected symptom.

1 Like

Hey,

Thanks for the update on this as I was also experiencing this issue.

Does Roblox block certain VPN IPs from joining games as well? I’m unable to join any game or access Roblox Studio at all using my free VPN.

The staff just said it’s not supported. That means if you are using a VPN, it is natural behavior that the Roblox platform and all related tools will not work properly.

So yes, Roblox might not work when you are using a VPN. Whether it’s on-site, in-game, or in-studio. And that is not a bug.

Why is this, though?

Surely, you can understand that some people, including myself, use a VPN as not only a privacy tool, but to shield ourselves from targeted phishing, malware and DDoS attacks?

The Terms of Service / Roblox Community Standards clearly states that VPN usage is only prohibited if used as a method to bypass restrictions or attempt to cause harm (hacking accounts, etc), therefore, VPNs are allowed in use cases like mine:

Using VPNs to mask your location in order to gain unauthorized access to Roblox, including to a specific feature or account

Source:

(See section “Misusing Roblox Systems”)

I personally believe that the APIs should be fixed to allow VPNs to operate as normal.
Take my opinion as you wish, but just know, that this is one reason that makes me and many others not want play Roblox as much, as we have to compromise our safety in order to use the platform.

Updated my original answer: specifically privately hosted VPNs are not supported.
Public VPN services such as ExpressVPN are.

1 Like

Why does the ToS not state this anywhere?
I’d like to know; since when has this been the case?

Public VPNs do not work either, do they? I’ve tried multiple and run into the same issue. If they’re supported, they should work?

This still occurs on public VPNs for me (ProtonVPN)

Any updates on this? I would appreciate if this could be fixed ASAP.

1 Like