Avatar Importer imports rig backwards relative to everything else

So I’ve been trying to use the Avatar Importer, and after following the incredibly clear and helpful wiki entry on it and then filling in the informational blanks with trial and error, I finally got this fellow:

The attachments are positioned correctly (left grip to left hand, front attachments at the front, etc.)

Animates correctly:

Looking good so far; just one small problem:
https://gyazo.com/9a65e4ae371f04f25ca33b159b84b83e

Yeah I have no idea what happened. No only is the armature completely flipped, but the animation is quite janky. I’ve tried editing export options, but that ends up applying to whatever part of the rig is troublesome. I’ve tried rotating the individual emptys representing the joints, both 180 degrees on the Z axis and adjusted for the rig’s natural limb rotation, both with and without applying transforms. The model and joints all face +Y forward, which I would think should be the case. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is just rotating all the geo parts 180 and mirroring the emptys without rotating them, but I’d like to know if I missed something first.

Here’s how the model and its joints look in Blender. They all have their transformations applied and so coordinates and rotations are zeroed out at their current positions.

1 Like

Sometimes roblox may glitch and have that problem, people have posted about it before. I would try rotating it to see if it would work like you said before.

I would suggest taking a look at that post to make sure you have followed all of the steps correctly.

This may also help.

Don’t worry, I’ve scoured both that thread and developer hub page several times over and there is nothing that I have conceivably done wrong at all. Augh I want to pull out my hair here. Why would I have to flip this thing around?

Well ok then. On a whim I just rotated everything 180 degrees so that the model faces -Y = forward and it fixed it. I thought I’d have to rotate the geo parts and line up the joints.

I’m less relieved that it worked and more annoyed that the fact it works makes no sense, but thanks for your time.

1 Like

The virgin forward rig.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.49.14 PM

The chad reverse rig.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.49.05 PM

3 Likes

Yeah no problem. Glad it worked