Introducing Avatar Importer to Studio

Hi Developers,

We are excited to release a new feature that enables you to import avatars using the rig data inside of FBX files. You can author these files using tools like Maya or Blender and bring your characters to life inside of Roblox Studio.

Here’s a quick walk through of the features of the Avatar Importer:

Start by creating or downloading a FBX file suitable for importing.
You can find out more about upload requirements here.

You can access the Avatar Importer under the “Plugins” tab in Studio.

Once you’ve created your FBX rig file, you can import it using one of the four buttons shown below.

If your rig does not match the structure of a Rthro or R15 character, you should use the “Custom” button to ensure it imports correctly.

After importing process completes, your new avatar should show up in Studio.

Finally, you can animate your new avatar with the Animation Editor. Simply open the rig using the Animation Editor and start animating.

If you have animation data inside of your FBX file, you can also import that inside of the Animation Editor using
File > Import FBX Animation

Then select the same FBX file you originally uploaded the rig with.

For more information, please visit our documentation on the for this feature on the Developer Hub

After trying out the Avatar Importer, please tell us what you think in the comments below!

Thanks,

The Roblox Team

311 Likes

Woah! This is going to be so helpful and make things a whole lot eaiser! Thanks @Osyris

39 Likes

I can see this being used for some really cool character designs. Hopefully will find a use or two for this!

11 Likes

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG

I’m very excited.
Most of what I do on Roblox is related to custom characters.

22 Likes

I’m still in the old age of R6 (and sometimes R15), though with the rise of custom characters (and my desire to make a few for some purposes), I’ll definitely have a look through it. Cheers.

Nah scratch that. Glad to see Roblox is officially supporting FBX animations. Interesting update, I’m curious to see how developers will use this in the coming future.

15 Likes

my excitement and questions would probably build up to a wall of text, so i will sum it up in one word.

Y E S.

a million times yes. very cool addition!

10 Likes

This is a very cool addition, thanks ROBLOX!
:smile:

5 Likes

HOLY SMOKES!

This is fantastic! Thank you to the engineers at Roblox!

14 Likes

Could this be preparation for UGC? Even if not, this is for sure a lifesaver for people who are having a hard time getting the gist of rigging in roblox :v)

7 Likes

I’m ready to see some amazingly detailed characters and animations! Great addition Roblox!!

2 Likes

Glad that now rigging eggs is a whole lot easier. Thanks Roblox!

23 Likes

Awesome addition to studio. I am super duper excited to see what I can do with this feature.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s time for some cool character models using Blender or similar softwares.

4 Likes

I am sure it will be helpful. This will help me to make smooth animations. :grinning:

3 Likes

I really love how roblox has gone from «simple» one style games, to becoming more and more customizable for developers. Does nor surprise me that Roblox is recieving more and more players and developers!
Great feature, now games will look a whole lot different.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I totally agree, making asvanced character rigs and simillar will also be a lot easier!
Happy Birthday by the way! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yesss! I’m also on the hope train that this is the start of more user ugc avatar support!

3 Likes

I have the feeling you guys are getting ready to release vertex deformation.

15 Likes

wait this is actually just gonna put me out of a job D:

5 Likes

Need to test this out, but if it works as intended it really improves the workflow of using custom rigs and animations from blender or other programs. A great addition.

3 Likes