Average Visit Length doesn't account for teleports

Games like Fish Game and many of the other round-based ones that have teleports for each game within 1-2 minutes don’t have that problem, though if you’re truly teleporting them after 1 second that might fall into a different category.

2 Likes

We have pushed a server browser and server creation update yesterday on SCP: Roleplay and despite having higher retention, similar unique visits and higher concurrent player counts, our Average Visit Length has gone down.

This issue needs to be addressed, it hinders the expansion of the platform with user-generated content based games and affects games that require teleports disproportionately.

5 Likes

Just want to say that this is something that I have seen for years and years. When i first saw that my average visit time was only 10 minutes i thought oh well apparently they just play for a short time. But when i started playtesting in populated servers i noticed that people on average stay longer than 10 minutes in game. Its just that about every 10 minutes or so theres a disaster in my game that players have to escape from which happens via teleporting. I wish the visit time was for overall time spent in an experience as well. It would make this data way better, both in accuracy and usability.

5 Likes

I believe the Average Visit Length only counts the starter place.

From tests I’ve done no matter how long I spend in other places in my game, only spending time in the initial starter place affects it.

This is an extremely big flaw for games with multiple places as there is no way to tell (on Roblox) how long players are actually spending in the game hurting testing and making that analytic stat worthless. Not sure why this hasn’t been fixed yet.

3 Likes

Hi. Can you please share some updates about how this is going? This is an extremely annoying bug.

I’m not sure if this is a solution, but the average visit length is still accurate considering, at least in my eyes, visit length is for the current place, where session length is for as long as the player stays in your experience. The average session length for your game is now shown under the Create Dashboard. I am not sure if this is a proper solution if you wish for all games to have access to it immediately.

For me, this seems quite accurate, where visit length isn’t what I exactly need. That’s half a minute compared to 20 minutes.

On top of this, I would like assurance that Roblox is using session length for game sorts and such, as my game currently doesn’t appear on any sorts (source: RoMonitor), which is surprising considering how many there are, even if my game isn’t in its prime. It did seem like my game declined after I switched to a hub model, which basically screwed over my start place’s visit length. I’m not sure if this is because of this, or if there’s some other source which doesn’t relate. This could be evident with this feature request, but I couldn’t know which Roblox uses for discovery.

3 Likes

This is still an issue. My game recently received a decent spike in players, averaging 100+ concurrent users. I have a main “lobby” place, where players enter different gamemodes, and are teleported to the relative places. When this system was implemented, playtime dropped from 4-6 minutes, to 1-2 minutes.

Keep in mind, the game wasn’t the most engaging to begin with - it was originally a 1 player game, so player retention was low. Since opening up multiplayer, average players spiked from 20-100(ish). Playtime should increase. However, since players are being teleported away from the starter place, and into private servers, playtime isn’t being accurately tracked.

I don’t know if this effects premium payouts, or the game sorts on the front page, but it is an issue that’s been around for a while. If for no reason other than accurate data, this should be fixed.

4 Likes

This is, unfortunately, still an issue. Data has smoothed out over time, but still the same trends. I have averaged 100-300(ish) players.

Once teleports were implemented in september (sep '22), it dropped to the average time people are in the main lobby. It doesn’t seem to factor the solo/multiplayer lobbies, where people spend most of their time.

All of the places under the universe have visits. As expected, the lobby gets the most, followed by multiplayer. I would really like to know average visit length for multiplayer.

Does teleporting players out of a main lobby affect premium payouts?

FEATURE SUGGESTION

Under the Roblox Creator, there is a nifty “Places” section. Why wouldn’t there be a display for average visit length under these places? It seems to just let you edit the description/title. I would love to see place-specific data under this section.

3 Likes

Average playtime cut in half on Pet Simulator X after I added teleports 3 months ago. That’s absurd. Since sorts rely on average playtime, why is this fix not a priority? My game isn’t appearing on any sorts anymore.

4 Likes

I recently added mobile-only servers to my game and it is impossible to tell if they are having a positive or negative impact because the teleporting from the main place completely ruins the play time analytics

Would also be great to have confirmation on whether this affects premium payouts and visibility on sorts

2 Likes

Hi Preston:
Could you let me know where you get this idea on the average playtime cut in half?
If you check the latest metrics in Creator Dashboard, the average play time does not change significantly for the game you mentioned. Could you provide more details?

Hi Rezrift:
We recently open our new Creator Analytics to all experiences with 50 DAU+. Your experience should also have this metrics. You could now refer to the Engagement metrics to get the most accurate average play time and total visits. We plan to remove developer stats page you are using since that is not accurate. Please let us know if you still have any concern.

2 Likes

I still have a concern. Even if Roblox plans to hide the developer stats page in the future, they are still collecting this completely inaccurate data. A lot of developers using TeleportService would rest easier having an official confirmation from Roblox that this inaccurate statistic is not being used for critical things like game discovery (making games with higher average playtime more prominent, for example), Premium Payouts (monetization partially based on how long players spend in my game), and verification status (which is supposedly determined partially by average playtime in my games). If these features are using Average Session Time from Creator Analytics, all is fair. If these features are using Average Visit Length from the Developer Stats page, we have a problem.

4 Likes

I would 100% second this. If all of the algorithms are updated and accurate, an official announcement would ease my (and others’) concerns. TeleportService, as a heavily-utilized Roblox service, shouldn’t disadvantage games using it. It is a really nifty service - very useful - but if it only decreases game accessibility, I am reluctant to utilize it.

An official statement would ease my concerns.

1 Like

I’ve seen two drops in average visit time.

1st time - when I added teleporting for the first time, introducing a ‘trading plaza’

2nd time - more recently, adding a ‘hardcore mode’ which is used frequently

There is a pretty definitive drop RIGHT after the ‘hardcore mode’ update. Even now, with weekly updates, we’re fighting very hard to even get half the playtime we used to before teleports were added at all.

(Creator Dashboard)

Hi Preston:
I think the chart you are looking at is still the old developer stats page.
Have you tried out to take a look at the new Creator Dashboard Engagement page?
That one has the average playtime which considers teleport already so it is much more accurate.
The one you look at only considers place level so teleport will cause session time drop.

2 Likes

Hi @rezrift and @pa00:
I confirmed with the team who is responsible for game discovery. All the metrics used for ranking should be at experience level so adding teleport should not impact your ranking.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for confirming it! For both large games and small games, it is important to not have teleports interfere by chopping up play session accuracy. Glad to know this is fixed.

To anyone wondering, this does appear to be fixed in the new charts.

Old Chart (developer stats page):

New Chart (engagement page):

Got it! This cleared it up. Average playtime looking a lot more healthy on the creator dashboard. I’d suggest adding a notice on the developer stats about this - everyone I asked, including creators of top 10 experiences, did not know this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.