Backspace-deletes-whole-word

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

Although backspace-to-delete-entire-word may be a feature, it turns on at odd times for me, and I would prefer if it stayed off at all times.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

The bug seems to happen approximately 80% of the time. I do not know how to activate backspace-to-delete-entire-word. Using sharex of all things turned it off.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

It seems to happen irrespective of place.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

I will get one when it crops up again.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

About 3 months ago? At first I thought that it was active on every place because of some cross between mobile compatibility and unified user experience.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
3 Likes

Yes please!
I’ve had this issue for an extremely long time, maybe just under a year ago.

2 Likes

Probably Ctrl didn’t get registered as unpressed. Next time this happens, press/release Ctrl again and it should fix itself. No idea what causes it though – I thought it was because of screenshotting software where I’d press Ctrl and release it once the window was no longer in focus, but just tried to repro and couldn’t.

8 Likes

Every single one of my computers has ghost input on the right control key, and that’s the one I used to activate sharex. Something about the S key activates the ghost input. Roblox seems to be the only program I have that has this issue.

1 Like

Are you sure you don’t have sticky keys (or any other keyboard crap) that could do this?
I remember having this issue, but IIRC it was only related to my keyboard settings.

(You should be able to see those weird settings show up on your taskbar if they’re active)

Pressing Ctrl fixes it, but it gets stuck again for me almost immediately. I have no idea what causes it, but it’s almost a near constant issue.

1 Like

This isn’t a bug, but a hardware faulty. I’ve tested that holding alt and pressing backspace will erase one word at a time and holding ctrl will erase whole lines.

Consider checking your alt and ctrl keys(otherwise option and cmd keys for Mac users). Press ALT, not CTRL if it erases one word at a time.

If it still doesn’t work, consider buying new hardware, i.e. keyboard.

1 Like

This has happened to me on like 3 computers of different manufacturers with and without peripheral keyboards. I’m not holding out for a miracle cure like that.

Hey NWSpacek, I’ve had this problem before. Here are some options.

1. You can restart your Roblox client
  2. Press Ctrl again to removing whole word removing
  3. Buy new keyboard
  4. See if there are any other keyboard buttons that activates this behavior. For example I know that pressing insert will do some funky stuff in the script editor. See if it it’s something similar to that.

I’m no expert but these were all of the things I tried, I know I did fix it on my PC at one point but I cant exactly remember how I did.

Did you see this?

If so, have you found anything interesting relating to this issue?

Sticky keys I disabled for KSP. There’s nothing in the taskbar or notification center relating to keyboards.

1. Not particularly helpful in the middle of a 30-minute naval battle
  2. That’s what I will probably end up doing
  3. if there are any keyboard buttons that activate this, they’re a default among 3 computers and 5 keyboards by completely different manufacturers.
1 Like

Do you happen to hold Shift often, while in-game?
(It enables another setting, similar to sticky keys)

In studio where the right control sticks, no.

Ingame, it depends on the game. Naval 1918 does use the shift key but it activates a toggle and the key isn’t held down.

I’ve never had this issue before, besides once. Got ShareX a few days ago, and right after I used it is when it happened. Hadn’t happened since, until again just now when I tried using ShareX again to test. My keys were Ctrl + Shift + PrtScr. As @EchoReaper said, pressing Ctrl again fixes it, as it did both times for me.

This really doesn’t sound like a bug on Roblox’s end.

Edit: Decided to test more. This actually might be fixable. Can’t reproduce on Discord, only in a Roblox game. It seems to be because of the way Roblox doesn’t let go of input when the window isn’t in focus. Same behavior can be reproduced just by clicking off the window while holding Ctrl.

I don’t think I’m comfortable with scripts having a way to access input when the game window isn’t in focus though. This seems like intended behavior if fixing it also means scripts accessing inputs while the window is out of focus.

1 Like