Badge for 100 and 250 Likes on Topics and Replies

Hello there!

As you may know, the highest badges for likes received (for topics and replies) are the “Great Topic” and “Great Reply” badges (which are granted upon receiving 50 likes on a post). However, I am starting to notice that it is way too low for some posts, which have reached hundreds of likes. That’s a difficult thing to achieve and it means that the post is greatly valued by the community. Therefore, upon receiving 100 and 250 likes, the original poster should be granted special, higher-tiered badges to distinctly reward them for creating such a quality post. Although it’s not me who decides this, I have an idea for these badges: the 100-like badge can be diamond, and the 250-like badge can be emerald or ruby. Of course, these would be the highest badges and would should up first in the profile card just like the existing badges.

Thank you for taking this into consideration,
and have a great day!

Edit:
I do view an issue with this where people can spam posts simply to get likes that would be of no use. But think about this: wouldn’t the same be happening now but to achieve the “Great Topic” / “Great Reply” badge? Also, there’s always the report button, which most of the time works very well.

Edit 2:
Regarding the issue of spamming and unnecessary posts, I do not really see a bit issue there: the DevFourm rules are nicely enforced and rulebreakers are dealt with quickly and appropriately. Plus, such a post would never get close to 100 or 250 likes, which means that there is no point in even creating it in the first place. We already have some people who do already do that, but I do not see this get worse with these new badges introduced.

2 Likes

No, I’m not for this. As stated before when people asked for more badges to be made, people shut down the ideas for one reason:

People will grind and make dumb posts just to get the likes. So no, sorry but wouldn’t be the best idea. No offense.

4 Likes

I think it’s a neat idea, but I feel people should not make posts for the likes, but to be informative in whatever topic it’s posted in. This would not really help with that. But at the same time, it would give those who have achieved a greater like goal a badge. So I’m 50/50 on this one.

1 Like

some badges can be won several times. The great topic and great reply badges are some that can be rewarded several times.

So if someone has say 5 great topic badges then you know they have 250 likes. No need to duplicate badges for this

4 Likes

Honestly, as I have previously stated about expanding the achievements and badges on Devforum, this can cause negative backlashes of people trying to achieve such achievements using as least effort as possible to help community members with issues. This is absolutely redundant for any case scenario as it proves to have no actual value and DevForum should be encouraged to provide most details and support to the newer developers, who struggle with daily problems and dilemmas on, for instance, scripting.

In other words, I disagree on the idea of further expansion of badges. DevForum is not meant to be for collecting badges but discussing topics that is relevant to its respective category.

5 Likes

Uh, why would 100 or 250 people like a “dumb post”, from my experience people generally only leave likes on stuff they view as quality

1 Like

ScytheSlayin didnt mean it that way. What was probably meant was, people are gonna post just for the sake of posting to get badges. Don’t post for a badge, but to meaningfully contribute. The badges will come naturally.

1 Like

Sadly people already do that to grind likes and replies to make themselves look cool. If you go to nearly any new thread you’ll see the same few people giving useless information that is most of the time incorrect or doesnt really even apply to the thread.

1 Like

I’m not for this.

While people could just grind, “spammy” and inappropriate posts won’t be liked and instead will be flagged. The forums shouldn’t be an artificial hierarchy like the European Feudal System (this is an urgent issue! Sort this out more!). This idea is neat and all and if it’s going to be added then I wouldn’t see why we would be all up in arms about it.

My argument is that this is virtual and a bit pointless like who is going to care about your DevForum badges?

2 Likes

I mean I’m fine with this. Honestly, some of the badges here are quite pointless anyways. So this could be potentially another useless badge but there isn’t anything wrong with it.

1 Like

The absolute number of Likes on a post has become a fairly useless forum metric (the best posts do not necessarily get the most likes and vice versa) so I don’t think we should stick badges on certain magic values more than the default badges already do.

2 Likes