Basics of UI design

The start

Becoming a developer, is tough. It takes hard work and grit. It takes many things to make the perfect developer. Now, a lot of people would say, this and this is harder and this and that. And to that I say, no. Every development field is totally different from one another. They may have similar functions, or similar ideas, but one is not likes the other.

How to begin

Now, here is where you make the big choice. Are you going to make your UI designs in a software, or on Roblox Studio? I suggest a software, which takes weeks-months to master, but will be worth it. Or, you can stick with the easy route of just using Roblox studio. Everything is dumbed down, still will take a few days to master, and isn’t even that advanced. I use PDN (getpaint.net) for my UI design, it’s Windows only, but is free. I suggest Adobe Illustrator if you have $30 to blow every month, and have 5 GB of space free.

How to continue

Take it from a guy who had to use Google Translate for a Spanish commission once, been scammed multiple times, etc. Roblox commissioners can be very sketchy, so don’t give them nothing until they pay you at least half. Expect to spend 7-14 days on each design, or else it wont be as great of a result. Now, if your going to use a software, master it. I mean it. Master your UI design before you take your first commission.

Past to present lookback

Now, let’s take a look at my first ever paid UI design.
Insane time machining happens

And my horoscope tells me you’ll start out like this too.
Now, let’s see my most recent work.
Insane time machining happens

And I still think I’m very bad at UI.

Point being, practice makes perfect.

Keeping up at it

There was a point in time, I only got one commission every month and a half, and I quit Roblox developing, then I got back into it, and I was getting DM’s anywhere from local people out to the Netherlands! (hint hint Josy Productions) I was so sad, and don’t be. You sometimes got to ask people, “Do you need UI done?”. A 50% chunk of the game of developing is exposure. If they see you worked for Robloxian Highschool on your resume, people will think, “Oh this person is legit”. If your only commission is xXAestheticSallySadXx123, people wont take you as a legit business man.

Coming soon

I will be making a tutorial soon on how to do UI on PDN (getpaint.net) in the future, but I wanted to help anyone who is struggling out there, and needs some pointers.
: )

As always, stay safe, and wear a mask.

15 Likes

Great job on the tutorial man! I personally use GIMP as my UI software, but it’s cool how you’re showing people how to use PDN!

2 Likes

I myself use Figma for ui designing but i used to use PDN for shirt designing.

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch.

By the way I read that as $3000 :sweat_smile: might want to change that.

2 Likes

What software do you use? (30)

Back then I used to use studio, but I recommend Photoshop or Photopea, and now I no longer do UI.

Late response, but thanks! I have started to learn the basics of Photoshop, and can create a somewhat ok UI design.