Become a better UI Designer!

Hello. Today I want to delve into a topic I see a lot of people discussing. People want their UI to stand out, pop and be fun to look at. So, I will be giving a few tips that I’ve learnt, that may help you when you’re developing your next UI set!

1. lots of people start their UI off making it unnecessarily detailed to begin with, and give up after being burnt out while completing their first frame. With this, I suggest you make your UI super simple, then slowly add to it, like you’re drawing something. Do not rush yourself and try to make it to your end goal within 20 minutes.

2. Make sure your UI isn’t bland, and includes subtle patterns, vectors and such all around. If your UI feels too open, it will make it feel incomplete. Add a bunch of things inside your UI and see if it works. Even if you don’t think something will look pretty, try it anyway, and see if you can build off of it.

3. Keep a clear color scheme throughout your UI. You don’t want your frame to be blue, your stroke to be red, and your text to be yellow & purple. If you want your UI to be red, make the stroke dark red, and make the text white. Add some vectors, and make them a light red. Don’t put the light red over the other light red, because then it’s just a mess. Keep your colors contrasting each-other. Don’t place colors that look the same over each-other.

4. Attract the players eye to certain points by using this method. If you want people to see the ‘VIP gamepass’ before the ‘2x gems’ one, make the VIP gamepass text color gold, and increase the size by a little. Maybe put it at the top. Even add a crown vector?

5. Don’t make everything the same scale and rotation. Look at this image for a moment.

Do you see how the buttons are all rotated around? It’s making it more random and appealing to look at. Similar to building, you do not want your trees to all be the same scale and in increments of 5 studs. Try to again, mess around while making your UI even if what you’re doing isn’t what you planned on doing. You may accidently do something, and decide “gah damn, that’s looking good!”.

1. PLEASE KEEP A CONSISTANT FONT THROUGH AT LEAST MOST OF YOUR UI. PLEASE DON’T HAVE LIKE 30 DIFFERENT FONTS IN THE SAME FRAME. :sad:

I hope some of these help. As I continue to learn as much as you do, I will probably be adding to this post. Leave suggestions on what you think can help people with their UI, too!

25 Likes

This is Helpful for a starters like me NGL but ya thanks for the tips man

4 Likes