Being Able to Follow Anyone Into Your Own Game

As a developer or just as a player, it’s impossible to join the server of anyone with their privacy settings toggled on.

However, this hinders the ability of moderators to carry out their tasks of banning exploiters. The solution here would be a game setting that allows developers to create a list of white-listed users who can join anyone in this specific game. With this feature, moderators will be able to easily track down exploiters and ban them as quickly as possible before they ruin the game experience of other players.

13 Likes

does your game require you to be in the same server as the user to ban them?

3 Likes

The privacy settings are there for a reason, so people can’t follow them without them wanting to and being stalked or anything of that nature. Couldn’t you just make a script that checks what server the player joins, with game.JobId, and then teleport your staff members into the server with them? One problem would be if the user is in a private server.

If you have a report system set up that you’re using to know when a moderator is needed, you can simply write a server teleport command for your moderators that takes JobId as a parameter, and attach JobId to submitted reports so your moderators can jump to the server the report came from.

https://developer.roblox.com/api-reference/property/DataModel/JobId

6 Likes

Nope, but I ran into a problem today where an exploiter was live streaming. However, he covered up his username so that I couldn’t remotely ban him. However, usernames of other players were exposed and it would have been helpful if one of the moderators could follow them into the server.

3 Likes

I suppose I could hook up a JobId report thing to an external database but I don’t have any good apps to host it. Right, now people just submit exploiter reports with the Tickety bot in Discord.

2 Likes

You can simply use the following lines to teleport any player to another one within your universe.

local tps = game:GetService("TeleportService")
local place, job = tps:GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync(game.Players:GetUserIdFromNameAsync("Target username"))
tps:TeleportToPlaceInstance(place, job, <Player>moderator)

Mind that this will error if the given player is not within your universe at the time.

2 Likes

Regardless of your use case, privacy settings exist for a reason and bypassing them is a violation of people’s privacy. As MrLonely said (which was echoed about 3 times over), set up a report system that can get you the information of the instance which has the exploiter. R2DA handles this kind of thing splendidly with modcalls and has for some time without asking to be able to bypass privacy settings.

There is mostly always an appropriate workaround for your worries which should never include infringing on the settings a player applied to their account.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Stylis does a similar thing with Phantom Forces.

1 Like

Only a select few people will be able to follow other people though. And it’s only for this one specific game, not just any game. Additionally, this feature will be used to track down EXPLOITERS, not for stalking. Any mod abusing this feature to somehow stalk people will be immediately removed.

1 Like

Whether it’s for one game or not, this is not a sustainable feature and it is still an invasion of people’s privacy settings to be able to bypass such. There are also methods in Lua to achieve this already.