Bendable frames

It’d be neat to have bendable frames where you can drag a certain part of the frame and bend it. I mean think of all the neat Guis that can be made with them!

3 Likes

What do you mean exactly? Like curve it?

Triangle frame pl0x.

[strike]If someone made a module / plugin for this, do you think that would suffice?[/strike]

oh wait, I just realized that would be impossible since ROBLOX doesn’t do partial pixels. (complicates positioning/sizing rotated gui objects :()

To translate: It would be nice if we had the ability to perform CSG-like operations with GUI’s.

Do we even need this? It sounds neat and all, but I can’t think of any good use cases where bendable frames are essential. It sounds like a feature to be used only in tech demos and nothing more.

Yeah, you’re much better off creating those bendable frames in an image editing program like Paint.NET (what I use and free) or Photoshop (not free)

yes.

This will make it so you don’t have to upload decals to make neat looking Guis. it can improve a lot of game’s UIs and it would get rid of the image loading ( waiting for image to load and stuff [ Yes I know you can load the images in your game when the game executes but still… ] )

Actually, frames aren’t as good as you think they are. Try parenting 1,000 frames size 1x1 to a GUI and seeing how that works out when you test it. Image GUI objects are much more performance-friendly than that same thing built out of frames. Also, keep in mind you’d still have to download extra vertices’s for that bended frame – just because it’s a frame doesn’t magically mean it will be an instantaneous download.

But how exactly will having bendable guis improve game UI? How do you plan on using this feature if it ever gets released? As far as I know, games out in the market don’t use this feature on their UI. Personally, it seems like a ton of tacky, unnecessary flair.

I think what you’re looking for is the ability to upload vector graphics (.svg) or blending modes (add, multiply, burn, etc.) so that the color of an irregularly-shaped element can be changed dynamically, which is a totally different suggestion altogether.

Loading an image isn’t that costly. Besides, the cost of loading the image is transferred to the cost of having to render bendable gui locally, which I imagine is not cheap at all.

Also, if you’re thinking of using bendable gui to make “gui-only” games (e.g. flappy birds, etc.), then Roblox probably isn’t the engine you’re looking for.

Having a few default shapes (e.g. circles, semicircles, triangles) that could be recolored and readjusted without having to have a custom image would be nice. Nothing too crazy - the way I see it is that it would be like the 2D equivalent of the WedgePart and Cylinder with respect to the original Part.

EDIT: maybe something closer to the way GMod handles GUIs, if that were possible - there’s ways to create circle sectors and such in the API.

Man, I just want rounded rectangles.

I’ve always wanted the skew/distort tool also

[size=4]Distort[/size]

[size=4]Skew[/size]

1 Like

Well - this feature would only show its true potential [size=5]IN ACTION[/size]. Meaning if you have a shape gradually transform into another, it will become “better” than using a shizzleton of images. Otherwise, images. What I’m more concerned about is ClipsDescendants and ImageColor3, as those could be improved. Not sure if this feature would help with ClipsDescendants (e.g. allowing spherical image cuts with a transparent background? :wink: )

Example from daz internet (focus on the sphere images):