Best method to handle rapid fire weapons?

Okay, so I want to know what is the best way to handle rapid fire weapons? I only have a couple of solutions and I want to know which one is better.

1. Fire remote event every frame sending data which gun to fire and where.

2. Fire remote event at start activating which gun and sending target point data every frame.

Are while loops the way to go here? or should I use some frame by frame firing? Thanks

Also, what would be the best way to differentiate between guns types?

The only thing here I believe I have experience to talk about on is how you should differentiate between gun types, and to do that I would use OOP (Object Oriented Programming).

local Gun = {}
Gun.__index = Gun

function Gun.new(GunModel,GunInfo)
    local self = setmetatable({},Gun)
    self.model = GunModel
    self.bulletspawn = self.model.BulletSpawn -- arbitrary part at the tip of the gun

self.shooting = false
    self.reloading = false
    self.reloadtime = GunInfo.ReloadTime

self.class = GunInfo.Class
    self.bulletfireoptions = GunInfo.BulletFireOptions -- maybe an array like {5, 1} if the gun is automatic and single shot, {1} if it's single shot only, etc.
    self.ammo = GunInfo.AmmoPerMag
    self.ammopermag = GunInfo.AmmoPerMag
    self.storedammo = GunInfo.StoredAmmo
    return self
end

function Gun:CancelReload()
    -- optional (for sprinting or clicking while mid-reload)
end

function Gun:Reload()
    task.wait(self.reloadtime)
    local temp = self.ammo
    self.ammo = self.ammopermag
    self.storedammo -= (self.ammopermag - temp)
end

function Gun:Shoot()
    if self.reloading then
        self:CancelReload()
        return
    end

if self.ammo > 0 then
        -- can shoot
        -- depends on how you wanna do it, a raycast maybe (from self.bulletspawn to wherever mouse.Hit.p was?)
    elseif self.ammo <= 0 and self.storedammo > 0 then
        self:Reload()
    else
        -- player has no ammo ? possibly switch to secondary for them or display a ui
    end
end

This is a very broad pseudocode example of how it might be made via OOP. I haven’t exactly made a gun framework myself, but I would take a similar approach to where it’s scalable with multiple gun types all running on one OOP module.

Again, keep in mind I’ve never made an actual gun framework for scalability before. There could be better practices, I just found this tutorial here which seems to have a lot of content packed into it.

2 Likes