Best method to move players and their animation victim?

For some time now, I have been practicing using welds and Motor6Ds to attach player to player for grab skills and such things, but they work inconsistently and for more advanced movement and animations, sometimes break.

I was wondering if there was a proper method or known way of doing player movement, tracking between 2 players, and animations between 2 players.

If that did not make sense, maybe this will:

I want to play an animation, move my player a certain direction, and while my player is moving, I want the victim of the attack to stay in front of my player 5 studs (which I know how to do with cframing, cframe lookvector of HRP but I will get to that issue in a moment), until I do not want to move the victim anymore. I have tried:

VectorForce, LinearVelocity, and manual movement using HumanoidRootPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity.

The problem:

Constraints suck.

My solution for problem one:
Use AssemblyLinearVelocity.

The issue of moving the victim relative to the attacker:

This was “solved” by using a constraint such as a motor6d or weld, but ends up causing more issues due to things like orientation and positioning. I dont want to use this.

My main issue again:

What is the best way to do position constraining between 2 players so that one stays in front of the other, without using a constraint like a motor6D or a weld? And if this is the common method, how should I go about making the 2 player animations sync with each other? Should I have the data from the animation itself?

I do apologize about this long post and lack of clarity, its pretty hard to communicate what I am trying to accomplish here.

My main goal is to just be able to do abilities involving more than one player, and have the animations and positions synced so that the movement looks like its actually happening to the victim rather than just the animation playing while the attacker’s animation is playing too.

I understand TSB’s system is heavily scripted and advanced but as practice I want to be able to replicate attacks and victim movement whilist attack sequence is happening.

very very sorry if this left you confused!!! PLEASE ask questions if you feel like you can help!!!

3 Likes

well in tsb, i still think that for grab moves like flowing water they use constraints and body movers, like welds, body gyros, and linear velocity. i understand what kind of issues you might have, but the reason i still think they use constraints is because while you have someone in flowing water or the second move of the hero hunter moveset, you can freely turn around and their character will keep themselves in front of you, meaning they could only do this with constraints and setting the victims character collision and/or mass to off/0 respectively, because if they would be setting the cframe, it wouldnt be as smooth as it is

1 Like

and with your main issue, i cant think of any other way to do what you asked, rather than setting the cframe of the victim through the attackers client after switching the victims character network owner, which is very exploitable.
im sorry if this doesnt help you, but i think you should try experimenting with constraints rather than complicating yourself, maybe youll get it working and fix the issues

1 Like

for your problem, i tried using align position and align orientation on 2 parts, but they dont have the results youre aiming for.

1 Like

Can someone reply to me once the solution has been found? Please and thank you.

I appreciate the response Vlad. I will get back if I come up with anything.