Best method to teleport a party of players to a different game server?

So I’m trying to make it so your party can queue up when a game is over, guaranteeing that all of the party members will teleport to the same server, back to the lobby.

Every method I’m looking at that accomplishes this though, states the function does not “work reliably with teleporting players to the same game”

Rather confusing, I’m not sure which method is ideal for what I’m trying to do here.

Thank you.

Hi, I was thinking about this problem and may have found a solution. As you know,

ROBLOX has added temporary memory stores and added new functions to teleportservice. And I have also faced this problem with my previous projects.

Note: When I say “Host” player I mean the player who joined the game first as a reference.

Step 1:
Initially teleport one player to the lobby, using the standard function teleportservice:TeleportAsync() then retrieve the lobby’s jobid and placeid using the function: teleportservice:GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync(userid).
(UserId of the player who just teleported.)

Step 2:
Now teleport the remaining players recursively calling this function: teleportservice:TeleportToPlaceInstance(jobid, data) This should teleport the remaining players to the “hosts” game assuming nothing supernatural happens, such as the server being full, teleport failure, lag issues etc.

Step 3:
This is always a hindrance to me and my colleagues, Developers do not check if the lobby server is a private server, and it always teleports you to the wrong one. However I believe this can also be circumvented, if we can temporarily store if the server is a private server in the memory stores then we can use a simple logic statement to call the following function teleportservice:TeleportToPrivateServer Instead.

Remember, I feel as you should hook up events to detect teleport failure, as there are some explained and documented here.

This is purely theoretical, at the very least I hope this helped you with your problem.

1 Like