Best way of making trees?

Hello,
I’m just curious if it would be better to make a low poly tree out of meshes or unions. I need trees that look good, but don’t ruin the performance of the game.

So at this point I’m asking the classical question again, of meshes or unions?

6 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/would-meshes-or-unions-take-longer-to-load-the-game-in/48367
check this out :smiley:!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll check it out! :smile:

1 Like

You can make low poly trees in blender, and still make them realistic if that’s what you are into. Here is a good tutorial I found:

8 Likes

I’m not the biggest fan of the trees with decals for leaves as it reminds me of cheaply made simulators aha, but i do greatly appreciate the help. Thank you! :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Bro use low poly but add some textures to it.

Ez pz.

Since people want to flag my comment for no reason I’m editing this.

1 Like

I’d say it depends on the type of tree. If it’s something small and simple like a pine tree (that doesn’t need individual needles) to use unions. If it’s something a bit more complex like a willow tree (looping around in different directions and whatnot) I’d say to use a mesh/blender.

2 Likes
2 Likes

CSG is asking for a death wish.

1 Like

Assuming the trees all use the same union (therefore only needing 1 asset to be loaded), and all have cancollide false I think it would be almost the same as using meshes.

1 Like

Mesh instancing will greatly reduce memory usage if you have a few meshes and copy them around a lot/change their colour.

Transparent meshes/parts with decals are not good for performance so if you choose this route then be prepared to optimize the rest of your game a lot.

3 Likes

Whoa! My old post became useful!

2 Likes

Roblox CSG renders higher polys than most meshes on Roblox. Meshes gain for higher quality with higher performance. If Roblox’s CSG didn’t dupe everything in the asset it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

@AlgyLacey Textures only have a major issue if you have the UV Map sized to something ridiculous.

1 Like

Very true.

2 Likes

Meshes are always the better option, unions can cause lag and Roblox’s optimization is not great.
It’s also easier to work with meshes on trees and are much more preferable on Roblox today.

3 Likes

When i put the tree in studio its all black except the bark texture shows but other times the bark has the leaves texture on it? Please help!

2 Likes

change the transparency to 0.02

2 Likes

Cheers was looking for a tutorial like this!

Unions would work, but in my opinion blender would be faster to male detailed trees.

1 Like