Best way to create roads?

Greetings! Me and a few other developers are working on a new State game, where users can explore, drive vehicles, take on different roles and jobs etc.

I am in charge of creating town roads and highways at the moment. I have begun to work on them and realise that making all of these will take weeks, considering the map is quite big.

Does anyone know if if there are any plugins or fast methods I can use? I have seen a couple other posts like this but they all seem quite… old. Just anything I could use to speed up the making of it.

Thanks!

6 Likes

You can use decals. You can use parts too.

That’s what I have been doing at the moment, but with downward curved slopes its hard and it is still a very slow process

2 Likes

I use this plugin:
https://www.roblox.com/library/4846074825/Beautiful-Roads-Plugin-Beta-0-4

here is a devforum post about it: Beautiful Roads Plugin (deprecated)

10 Likes

Thanks! Didn’t realise that there was a good plugin, I appreciate it.

1 Like

The plugin is very part intensive, which could cause lag in a large game like mine. Do you know any others, or a way to reduce it?

Nope I don’t know another plugin I will reply to you if I find one.

1 Like

Found this by doing a quick search.

It might not be exactly what you’re looking for if you already used this plugin, then I would ignore this suggestion.

But searching for some useful road plugins would find you the results you need or there might be highly easier plugins that you can use along the process for building roads faster however you’ll need to learn sorting plugins in order to create roads easier you’ll likely find one or probably more of them whatever one suits your liking.

Some of the plugins will create much more - natural roads however i’m sure if this is what your looking for i have’t tried it myself it might be something you could just take if ever needed:

https://www.roblox.com/library/755679179/BezCurve-Road-Creator-DISCONTINUED

2 Likes

Not really what I am looking for, thank you anyways.

You may find some use in this guide I’ve written on curvature: FP1's Guide to Building Curvature in Studio

A combination of SBS/F3X and Gapfill can result in decent curving slopes, employing a method similar to what is shown in the screenshot. I rotated the parts using the circle as the pivot point, to keep the distance between each segment the same. If you need the road to be smoother, you can add more segments and decrease the distance between each one.

For the screenshot, I rotated each part by 15 degrees and raised each segment by 1 stud. The red lines show which edges you would gapfill between, and the initial rectangle parts can be deleted afterwards.

You would need to follow the same process but with separate parts for your yellow and white lines, to match the curvature.

6 Likes