Best way to go about plot sizes without looking weird

So let’s say a players basic plot size is 100x100

Which looks ok if you the person next to you is also on a 100x100 plot

However, if I add plot sie upgrades, so you can have a 200x200 plot, to be able to fit houses, it’d look like this

So the question is, would it be best to keep all 100x100 plots together, and then when players upgrade to 200x200 they get a different plot where it’s all 200x200.

The point being, if you only have a 100x100 plot, youd still have a 200x200 plot, but youd only be able to build on the front 100x100

1 Like

In my personal experience, all the plots should have the same size because you’d have to deal with additional DataStore issues. I’d do what Bloxburg did and just make floors the upgradable part to maintain uniformity. Turns out Bloxburg has an upgrade for plot size.

If you can manage to go around all the issues (DataStore and scripting), then you can surely make plot size an upgradable feature. Perhaps if the house on the 100x100 plot was not the same with the house on the 200x200 plot, the deisgn factor would look better.

Yea that’s the problem :confused: is if I just made every plot 200x200, but if every only had 100x100 building space then that leaves a lot of empty grass. But ehhh would be too hard to just have separate areas for different plot sizes

I created a building game with upgradable plots a few years ago. All you need to do is ensure the spacing between each plot is enough so that when all plots are fully upgraded, they are touching (or have some sort of margin between them).

There isn’t much of an issue with DataStores. To save data, you just need to save the offsets of each object within the plot, as you typically would. It doesn’t matter if the object is outside the 100×100 boundary, as they’ve already paid to upgrade their plot beyond this. They can only place within their plot boundaries anyway.

If you plan on allowing players to share saves between them, all you need is some sort of value saved with their data, that indicates their upgrade; e.g. { PlotSize = 200 }. This way, if another player receives a save that doesn’t fit because they haven’t upgraded, you can opt to show them that the save is incompatible with their current plot size, and they need to upgrade first.

2 Likes

The problem with the last image is that the house on the right has walls which are twice as thick and twice as tall so that contributes to it looking off. Why would the house increase in size together with the plot? If the house on the right was the same size, but had more rooms it should look perfectly fine.

No, the house on the right was to just show that players can have a bigger house design, but I didn’t have time to actually build up a seperate model. It’s just to show how it would look having a 100x100 plot next to a 200x200 plot

Which is probably why it looks so weird. I suggest copying the house on the left and instead of making it bigger, keep it the same size and just add more rooms. That would be a more accurate comparison which would probably look better as well.

No :man_facepalming: the builds in the images aren’t gonna be the actual house builds, its just there to show that that’s how the house would look in size on that plot of land

vsnry understands that, what he’s referring to is the fact that your mind sees the two houses very differently because their proportions in relation to one another are off which is why it looks weird.
Here’s an example image I made to help visualize it:

In the middle we have the house from a small plot. On the left is that same house but scaled in a similar fashion to what you did for your comparison. On the right is what vsnry is talking about doing. By comparing them side by side you can see that the middle and left together look odd because their rooms are completely different sizes, the one on the left feeling too large or the one in the middle feeling too small. However, if you compare the middle and right plots of land it doesn’t look that odd because even though the right house is larger it has more rooms and looks more natural because the rooms are about the same size as the rooms in the middle plot. Also, your mind will probably pick up that the left house is much taller than the middle and right houses which also adds to the odd appearance when compared to the middle plot of land.

That was probably pretty long but hopefully it helps.

2 Likes