Best way to learn coding ROBLOX APIs

So basically like, I’d like to start off with knowing what coding language to code in for these kind of stuff. I want to be able to make evaera-level stuff with the roblox verification bots and other third-party apis and such. What software would I use for coding this…Visual Studio? And if so, what version, what coding language, and what other software must I install to host and run it.

I also would like to be able to apply this knowledge on other things like extensions that enhance the roblox website, like BTRoblox or Roblox+, but both of them are made by well versed members of the community so I’d expect there’s some insider information going on but I’d like to know them as well.

1 Like

Your best bet would be to join community Discord servers, get real-time help from experienced users.
The programming language you use is up to you, whichever you find easy to use (I personally choose Python.)

Start somewhere easy, like programming a Discord bot (which gets progressively easier once you get used to Discord APIs).

2 Likes

See… That’s the thing. I used to code very simple discord bots and I joined alot of discord.js servers as well as their official one, and I was very impatient. Wasn’t entirely my fault that the community was so toxic sometimes, but I must admit I didn’t compose myself as I wanted to formally. Thus, I got banned in many of the discord.js servers including the official one.

My main focus isn’t to code discord bots for roblox right now, I just want to make something simple, like a library that can be directly ported into a roblox game, or a plugin

Ah, then you’d want t look into the DevHub, there are some good plugin articles to help make a plugin.

And what about a library? Like the ones evaera made on her github?

Can you elaborate with what you mean by library?

Example: GitHub - evaera/Aurora: (Deprecated) Aurora is a library that can manage status effects (known as "Auras") in your Roblox game.

I’m not really familiar with cross-engine Roblox development so I’m not the best person to ask about GitHub-Roblox related things. But do try by starting with a plugin first, then move up as you go along!

The site has API references, please use it wisely.

I think he‘s meaning this here:
https://api.roblox.com/docs

Not the normal API

Lua has most of Roblox’s built in functions and is rather simple to understand.
I used to use python but when I transferred over to Lua it was far better.

Python and Lua have some things in common but overall most people use Lua as it has all the built in functions and is easy to follow.

If you want to interact with other websites you would want to use the HttpSevice :PostAsync() and :GetAysync(). As you have experience using discord bots using Http wont really be a migraine.

You will want to get Roblox studio and create a place. Then when a player joins and enters their discord name, PostAsync() then sends the data to the bot. The bot can then send a message to the player asking them to confirm if ‘roblox name’ is them.
Once this is confirmed you can make the bot verify the player and even change their nickname to match their roblox name.

You can even get the bot to ban players in game. You would set up a page with a list of pending bans and then when the player joins the list of bans can be checked. This means players that break the rules in discord can also be banned in roblox.

You may need to go through another site like pastbin so both roblox and discord can use it. Robloxs and Discord may have their own security on receiving data from other sites so using a third party like pastebin to create temporary text dumps or permeant text dumps would come in handy.

I overlooked the topic and it turns out to be about the endpoints on the website. Oh.

In that case, the resources are more external than it looks to actually work with the API. Some knowledges are bound to other scripting languages. The link you sent should definitely be an answer.

Also don’t hesitate in reading the DevForum for certain resources. They do provide to some extent of off-site programming.

2 Likes