Best way to make an equipping animation?

For those of you who don’t want to read a paragraph of most-likely-unneeded information, the tl;dr is after the paragraph.

I wanted to make an equipping animation for the sword I’m making, but I have no idea how to do it. The only ways I could think of making the animation is using a tool, or making the sword apart of the player’s character model. Normally, I would have just gone with the tool method, but the problem with that is that I want the sword to be on the back of the player when it’s not equipped. I know of a way to have the sword on the back of the player when not equipped, that’s not the issue. The issue is making it so that the transition of the sword from the back of the player, to the player’s hand, is smooth. I don’t know how I would do this with a tool, since when you equip a tool, it kinda just appears in your hand. Once I realized this, I was going to use the character model strategy, but for one of the moves the player is going to have access to, the player will be able to throw their sword. And since the sword will be apart of the player’s character model, doing this would ruin the hitbox of the player (i think). Taking these two issues into consideration, I had no idea what to do, and so I ventured onto (into?) the corner of the internet know as the Roblox Devforum to inquire the masses about (on?) how I could fix my issue. If not using tools or character models, what is the best way to make an equipping animation and how?

tl;dr: Because I’m too dumb to figure it out my self and all the methods I thought of using probably wont work, what is the best way to make an equipping animation and how?

A good example of what I’m looking for is how in the game “The Strongest Battlegrounds” when you’re (I used the right your please don’t kill me) using Deadly Ninja (I think that’s his name) and you haven’t used any moves in a while. You automatically unequip your sword. This is the type of thing I’m looking for, only that throwing the sword doesn’t ruin the hitbox and you have to actually equip your sword instead of just being able to attack immediately

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:. Also, I apologize if there are any grammatical errors in this post (English is hard).

1 Like

the best solution i can think of from the top of my head, is to play with tool grip when equipping,

but thats tedious work especially when i figure you may have multiple weapons. the best approach to this would be to time it with your animation, so basically it would work like this.

you equip your tool, your tool turns invisible, and it plays the equip animation, half way through the animation (the sequence where you would pull the tool off the back) is when you would make your actual tool visible, and turn the one on your back invisible, in which it would create the effect of taking it off the back (as long as you line up your animation and your positioning of the tool on the back it should look good)

you are not stupid, just a learning curve, also the tool being parented to your character will not mess with your players hitbox at all IMO. Your players “hitbox” is generally the HumanoidRootPart in general terms, as thats what most hit detections reference. So you can still do the throwing approach if you wanted too.

Also to make it so your tools don’t just instantly weld to the players arm by default, set the property “Requires Handle” to false. Youre going to have to do some manual code work depending on the functionality of your tool, but that will fix your “sticking to the arm” issue lol.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to put it to use. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.