Best way to preserve data

Hello. I was wondering how to make efficient data store. There are games on roblox like deepwoken that never have issue with data and you always load in super smoothly without ever having to rejoin. I’m wondering what type of data store methods they use? Because using roblox data store isn’t enough as roblox data store isn’t always reliable. Http request to data store with php is interesting as well but it can also fail. So what should you do and how does deepwoken implement its perfect data saving and loading?

I thought of using both http requests with php and roblox data store but I feel that’s not enough. If anyone knows what these super popular well made games use for their incredibly consistent data, please let me know, as I would love to learn to mimic or advance their data store methods.

I use ProfileService as my main DataStore and I can say is that it works perfectly and it won’t randomly make the players lose data. It stores all data inside of tables

1 Like

Now I am no genius when it comes to saving data, however, I would imagine the most reliable method of preserving data would be using your own API, you would obviously be responsible for maintaining it and upkeeping it and the only failure that could happen is if roblox’s HTTP service went offline or roblox itself.

Your own API eliminates datastore maximum requests making your only limit is HTTP 500 limits a minute.

Granted you can use all of these other datastores but if you want something advance but reliable I go to https://www.youtube.com/@5uphi for most of my know-how.

1 Like

That’s still inherently using roblox data store. So what happens if your load fails? I’m not concerned about losing data as much as I am with it loading properly and players having to rejoin. As roblox data store can fail so can profile service. Unless it uses external sources? What happens with profile service when a load fails? I don’t want to end up having to kick my players telling them to rejoin when data store fails. Please let me know. Thank you.

I think your point here is that you want to preserve data without using DataStore at all which is probably impossible. ProfileService is a customized version of DataStore and it won’t cause data loss. If you don’t trust this module then use DataStore2.

That’s close to what I was asking but not quite. My concern is LOADING of data consistently without error and what methods are the best to use for that. As roblox data store is known to not always be reliable for that regardless of what modules are made for it, the load can still fail and ultimately the user would have to rejoin or try infinite attempts to grab data.

My question is how do large games find their way around this and able to get consistent loads everytime where I never had to leave and rejoin to try to load my data again.

There’s also this module that you can try which is QuickNetwork

And I’m not sure what you’re actually trying to achieve but if you’re trying to find a way to save data without using DataStore at all then goodluck. Though you can make your own module.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but there is probably no DataStore module that will 100% guarantee that it will not cause data loss, so my idea here is to get (or make) the best possible datastore.

No you’re right, I just want to find the best way to LOAD data consistently. Actually saving data isn’t an issue. It’s finding a way to replicate how games are always super consistent with their loading of data even if data store might not work. Which is why I assumed its a combination of data store service and their own API with HTTP requests.

1 Like

Well, using ProfileService I only load data when the player joins, then load every following stuff after that (Weapons, inventory etc.) If their stuff doesn’t load then I keep refreshing their character.

Are you making multiple calls throughout the game? Because I usually just load the data for each player and store it in a table then call that whenever needed. I also use 1 datastore for all the data. So I don’t risk a load failing when I want to do a specific action again. Is this bad practice?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.