Best ways to learn Luau?

Hello,
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I know there are many topics like this one, but I also wanted to ask if anyone has read “Roblox Lua Scripting Essentials: A Step-by-Step Guide 2023” by Christopher Coutinho, and if so, how was your experience with it? I am on page 60, and just wondering if it’s worth my time, or are there better/faster ways to learn? The book seems good so far. I am just wondering if there’s other ways to learn that I could also do. I’ve been using Roblox long enough, I thought I’d finally get around to actually learning to program.

4 Likes

Lua and Lua U are very similar, I think this series is pretty good.

3 Likes

My best suggestion for you, is to look up tutorials and to look at the devforum for any questions you have on programming. Once you have the code or found what you need, look at it and try to figure out how it works. If you’re following a tutorial they should explain it in the video. Never copy code from places to your script, this doesn’t help you learn!!! Over all, just look at other’s work and learn from it. It’s what I did and it worked out quite well for me.

2 Likes

Thanks! @cookiemaster2448 The narrator in the first video in the playlist says it only takes a week to follow his course (playlist)? Have you watched it and would you say you can now script anything? Or does that level of skill take longer to master?

@ITemply I feel I’ve been doing this since I began using Roblox. I have learned from it, definitely. But I feel like I still only know the basics, and I’m not progressing much. The book I mentioned is actually pretty helpful, especially as it’s tailored for Luau, and Roblox Studio specifically. I tried reading another book about Lua a few months ago, and I barely got to the second chapter lol. Reading this book is much more fun for me, as everything is taught on Roblox Studio instead of Visual Studio Code

1 Like

It will teach the all of the basics of Lua which you can adapt to make your own scripts.

2 Likes