[Beta] Announcing New Games in the Cloud

You will be able to save to local files as showed in the bottom left corner of this image

3 Likes

I’m a little confused. How is this any different to the already existing “Save” feature?
Like, I thought we already had saving the game without publishing, so why is this announcement any different than before?

10 Likes

Now hidden away in an inconvenient builtin plugin that refuses to work 90% of the time!

No, this has already existed for a long time, this update simply hides away the save to file option in an inconvenient prompt.

8 Likes

You are ignoring the overarching theme.

This is hostility towards professional developers (whom are the backbone of the platform) and who depend on local files to do their work. This is also adding a good 2-3 extra clicks every time to affirm that yes, I am not a baby and I would like to save a local file. I have to publish to a dummy place if I want to so much as edit the avatar settings on a baseplate.

I do not have any care for cloud saves. I do not want to use them. I trust my network drives more than Roblox’s servers, and will continue to only use Roblox’s hosted places for non-dev builds.   It is appalling that Roblox is trying to make it harder for me to do this.

18 Likes

The only difference is that the new games you create will be saved to the cloud by default, but you also will be able to save them to local files

2 Likes

Thanks, I can imagine (although i don’t want to) that there’s probably a lot worse than my little mistakes on the devforum somewhere :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, it’s one more click in an action that you do constantly, not only that, but the builtins are notorious for being broken, and I don’t exactly feel at ease seeing all saving options tied to one.

Having the 2 actions separated was working fine, I don’t get why save to file has to be hidden.

4 Likes

I know that as you are replying to a response thereof akin to yours.

I should not have to make 2-3 extra clicks just to use local files. Especially given that, statistically speaking, Roblox’s servers fail more often than my hard drive.

Nearly every single professional developer (especially programmers and those employed in teams) will use local files over cloud saves. Anyone with more than a few years of experience will probably have a strong distate for cloud saves; I have found them to always be unreliable and shoddy.

Roblox is trying to reinvent the wheel by attempting to nudge people away from local saves, and making them harder to use to the point that people just give up and use cloud saves.

9 Likes

So what if you have to make 2-3 extra clicks, the functionality you want still exists. Be glad they’re not adding a certain set of new terrain textures until we have the option to toggle them on/off.

3 Likes

Why are you bringing up an entirely unrelated topic? It’s not about ‘the functionality still existing’, it’s about friendliness to developers. This actively pushes aside local saves in favour of a buggy and inefficient cloud system and makes my life as a professional developer much harder-- especially since it isnt even giving the option for the most part, until you explicitly go to save.

6 Likes

Ctrl+S does not prompt this box unless it is a brand new place. Ctrl+S will just silently save if it has an associated uploaded place.

Edit:

This image does not show it but there is a “Download to file” option available. People who prefer using local files can bind this to Ctrl+S to essentially revert to the old functionality

3 Likes

Well, that won’t fix my issue with 10 million repeated places, but it helps for the future I guess.
Great feature, love it, this would’ve been really useful in the past for moving datastores between games.

“Well, that won’t fix my issue with 10 million repeated places, but it helps for the future I guess.”
Wait, does it?

You can delete un-published places, right? Am I missing the point here?

2 Likes

“Be glad they didn’t make it even worse.”

That straight up doesn’t make sense, why should we be grateful Roblox didn’t mess up as bad as usual?

5 Likes

I beg to differ, I’m trying to say that you should be glad that saving to file has not been removed entirely. Nothing more, nothing less. If ROBLOX wants to be “unfriendly to developers” (as you have so aggressively put it), then ROBLOX can be “unfriendly to developers”. If you want to be mad about this change, absolutely go ahead, but I am not about to jump on the bandwagon with you.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Once again, that straight up doesn’t make sense. Why should we be grateful Roblox didn’t mess up as bad as usual?

Victim mentality is the one thing that absolutely doesn’t make sense in this case.

4 Likes

Bad user experience, horrible workflow interruption, disrespectful update.

I’ve been wildly skeptical of Roblox’s model especially when I was told that Roblox wanted to make the platform the tool for all development without installing any outside tools. Now I know why I dislike that mantra so much and why I was told that being on the natively supported Rojo fad was a bad idea and instead I should ask for a way to interface with the filesystem.

I just cannot understand why Roblox is so anti third-party tooling? Why does Roblox have to be the one-stop for development? There’s a reason why I hate using the cloud and it surely “doesn’t” (no, it fully does) have to do with moderation and the fact that I can never tell when the trigger on my account can be mistakenly pulled and I lose access to everything I’ve ever worked for these years on the platform and everything that’s making up my career and even at times income.

Save to Local File has been the default expectation for Ctrl + S and it’s a severe disruption to my workflow which involves fast iteration and saving, especially in the face of technical issues (with slow follow up, leaving me to my own workarounds and not to rely on bug reports). DO NOT CHANGE IT, MAKE IT AN OPT IN FEATURE. OR JUST LET ME CHANGE KEY.

Roblox increasingly frustrates me with every cloud feature it adds to its platform. I’m not touching that cloud. I want to continue to save to local file the way I always have, not have my current workflow fade into obscurity and thankfully I actually checked the DevForum to be aware of this - what of those who don’t and suddenly face interrupting changes?

Respect our workflows. This is awful.

39 Likes

I also wanted to mention that a majority of Roblox’s largest games, including the formerly biggest game on the platform - Adopt Me - use Rojo and other kinds of external tooling. It is an essential part of any team workflow.

Roblox have tried inventing their own Git, and are now trying to invent their own cloud filesystem. It is time to throw in the towel with regards to tooling and stop blockading developers.

14 Likes

You’re ignoring their point and are just completely throwing in a topic that has absolutely no relevance to the discussion at hand.

Theoretically, 2-3 clicks don’t sound like a lot. However, do keep in mind that going through this repetitive pattern multiple times can get tedious and, quite frankly, inconvenient.

Furthermore, relying on cloud saves means relying on faulty servers that are being used by excessive amounts of developers, and therefore, can crash, causing progress to be lost. Simply using your own computer’s hard drive is a lot safer since you and you alone are using its storage.

6 Likes

The saved version will still exist in the place history and can be loaded at any time. Publishing will overwrite the existing version of the place.

You can see the whole history of your place in the Places tab in the Game Settings dialog. Click on the “…” and choose Version History. That will show you a complete list of every version of the place you have ever saved or published to Roblox. You can then load one of those versions up in Studio if you like.

8 Likes