[Beta] Announcing New Games in the Cloud

I’m not discussing semantics here. I made my point clear initially.

It’s good that staff have provided clarification that it is possible never to see this dialogue which is what I was initially looking for. I don’t care how long it takes, I don’t want to see it and I refuse to save my game to the cloud. I will continue to use local files when working with Roblox content.

I’m thankful for any point-out responses I was given that show it’s possible not to introduce this nonsense into my workflow by customising keybinds or what steps I need to take for it not to show, but dismissing my point on the basis of “just a few more seconds” is meaningless and unhelpful to me.

6 Likes

Change the hotkey back to save the file locally. Please. Some of us prefer having local copies.

6 Likes

This change has broken CreatePlaceAsync places as they seem to be considered to be created via the website. My building game (World Builder) and a few others have been heavily affected by this as our games rely on this API to allow our players to create and save worlds that can be extremely large.

5 Likes

This change seems to have broken the AssetService:CreatePlaceAsync api, which my building game “Blockate” heavily relied on, it now raises an error that says “Teleport failed because This game is not published (failure)” whenever someone tries to join a newly created world.

7 Likes

I’m not sure why I would need to save my game to the cloud if I could just publish it.

The only difference I see is that publishing makes the game visible on your home page?

I’d rather just have publishing and saving to a local file. This would make it much simpler for most developers.

To me, this change seems unnecessary, but I would love to be enlightened by different views.

6 Likes

Making a game on multiple devices without the file is going to be the best experience ever

1 Like

I’d hope for a new quick action button for saving to a file, if that’s getting changed to the cloud as well, as I normally save my games to a file every day I work on them, just incase I’m offline.

3 Likes

I hope this means we can delete them :unamused:

1 Like

Agreed. I sincerely hope that Roblox does not go through with this and let’s us save locally without opening a dialog. I haven’t done extensive reading or any testing yet but I wonder:

Does the dialog open each time I press CTRL + S, even if the file has already been saved as? If so, I might aswell quit Roblox because of how often I press CTRL + S to quick save while coding. It’s literally a tick at this point. And no, I’m not kidding.

I’m starting to get the feeling that Roblox is going to phase out local files or at least make them harder to access. This is a dealbreaker for me, tbh. If that’s not the case this is clearly a terrible UX decision that must not go forward.

8 Likes

I do not see the issue with publishing a new game. You can create a new game then press the “Save Game” button to do the same thing

1 Like

The fact that we should ever HAVE to rely on Roblox servers is just ridiculous. I’ve been working with the online studio for a long time now, and it is extremely frustrating. It seems as though, at least once a week (usually Saturday) I can’t reach Roblox’s servers. After getting extremely angry at Roblox for not keeping their servers running, I decide to work offline, then would always run into “this game must be published to…”. After that, I close studio and walk away until Roblox decides to fix their servers.

The moral of the story is, it’s definitely not rare that Roblox servers fail.

4 Likes

If we’re all being honest, I’d rather servers go down for an hour or so weekly instead of having to spend money to support thousands of players for an online game myself. They do help out quite a bit when it comes to supporting multiplayer games.

2 Likes

On the contrary, at the rate that Roblox pays their developers, I think they should have their servers running flawlessly. It’s one of the many reasons we choose to stay on Roblox. We forfeit 75% of the profit from our games in return for these servers, and various services. In my opinion, the least they can do is make sure their servers are running at all times.

Do you know how frustrating it is working a full time job because my Roblox income doesn’t suffice yet? Then when I finally have the chance to work on my projects Roblox’s servers are down?? That one hour I just lost is usually detrimental to my workflow for the day.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely thankful for all the opportunities Roblox has given, and continues to give me. Their servers going down are actually the only complaint I have lol

6 Likes

Looks like a great feature, super excited to use it.

1 complaint… you said “New Games in the Cloud”. I believe you mean “New Experiences in the Cloud” (icky branding if I’ve ever seen it).

In all seriousness this will improve workflow and will be a very good improvement.

1 Like

With how a lot of features in studio depending on the place being published already (Including changes as simple as R6/R15 character types) this was only an inevitability.

Tell you what though, I’m happy to see that this is becoming a reality! I already used cloud-based storage for my work via local files so making use of this feature will already become a breeze. Allowing myself to use all the cloud based place settings all the same means that it’s all coming together.

Keep it up!

6 Likes

nice! i hit ctrl+s a lot out of habbit and i’m tired of having to constantly save locally in order to have it not put up a dialog and then having to keep the local file and the cloud game synced is such a pain so this’d be a lot nicer

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to this, but every time I attempt to save studio with the new feature, it crashes and I loose all my work. It’s very annoying as I lost a lot of effort.

2 Likes

It’s a update with good intentions but there are some things I am not fond of… I like to save my work locally on my hard drive, the fact the save/save as option only goes to the cloud is troubling. I get the want for this, and things to be easy, but wouldn’t it be better to have separate options in the menu. Also the ctrl s, I use that often so I don’t lose progress, is there any way we can choose what it does.

This said not having to publish would be great, to do things. But I doubt I’ll use it much.

Like some others my internet isn’t really the greatest at times so needing to rely on cloud stuff isn’t a good option for me, as well as the fact of possibility of losing my account due to a poor moderation scenario, or someone hacks into it etc.

4 Likes

But what happened with Download a Copy ?

3 Likes

Why was the beta feature disabled? I can’t see it in the beta features window anymore.

1 Like