[Beta] Announcing New Games in the Cloud

That’s what we call “saving to the cloud”.

But seriously just allow us to easily switch between these behaviors. Sometimes Roblox is down or servers don’t want to respond fast enough and saving to the cloud fails like on the screenshot above. I don’t trust Roblox servers with keeping my data secure. One time it said that it saved it but, once I reopened my project all the changes I made were gone and since then I kept saving multiple times to the cloud and making a backup file.

3 Likes

When saving failed, is the only feedback you got in the output window? That is extremely bad UX and is dangerous. That should be way more visible.

5 Likes

There’s no such thing as ‘instant save’ and if you want to measure speeds, writing to disk will always be faster than uploading to a remote server (which has a higher failure rate). Saving to cloud is great but they shouldn’t be hiding basic features that users rely on behind multiple clicks, this is just bad UX.

A common paradigm that’s followed in software dev is to save locally and then sync to cloud in the background, this provides a smoother user experience in my opinion. It would be nice if Roblox set a default and then let us easily customize it to best fit our workflows.

2 Likes

When testing this, I had no problems! I rarely save games locally, so the local saves thing didn’t annoy me. Excited to see how future versions work!

1 Like

Good feature, but as others are pointing out, please link the save keybind back to local file saving. Some people could be terminated by mistake, lose access to their account(s), or just want to keep the project as secret as possible. Many people are keyboard users and don’t want to have to use their mouse to save, so just bring it back.

1 Like

I have a CreatePlaceAsync place as well and now I am not able to publish directly to that place anymore via studio. Saving via studio doesn’t work either. There is an HTTP 400 error in the output window when I try to do this. I need to update my place and saving/publishing to it still is broken to this day. Although this thread says now that cloud saving is disabled, it appears that something is still blocking publishing/saving to CreatePlaceAsync places. Please fix this soon!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

I think you got the wrong cloud topic :laughing:

Woops! Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

Will this be fixed anytime soon? it has been weeks now and I unable to publish or save any updates to my games. This is very frustrating and there is no new information about whether this will be fixed soon.

The servers From The Roblox Studios Are so slowed For the Worst connection I don’t Know Roblox corporation.

I don’t agree with this update.

This seems just like an unnecessary change which will hurt developers.

Cloud isn’t always better like in this case.

Please don’t force us to do something.

It always takes me a year to load my games and this will only make it worse.

1 Like

Shortly after this feature got re-enabled some of the devs that I work with started getting “this place is unpublished” errors on their places despite the output clearly saying that the games have been published. One of them took like 3 people to publish for play testing.

It would’ve been nice to get a better heads up that this feature has been re-enabled than a lousy edit that no one got to see unless directly pointed towards.

Edit we have also lost 3 hours of work because of this behavior. Studio didn’t save an auto save because of the fact that it was thinking that it was published. A bug report will be definitely coming.

1 Like

I discovered this issue when I was trying to save a file for a Bug report

Why would you remove the ability to save files locally to our devices?

I’d never trust Roblox enough to save files to Cloud only as sometimes it fails to save or crashes upon publishing / saving online.

Deliberately replacing Ctrl + S and Ctrl + Shift + S which has ALWAYS been universally known to save files to OUR local device is horrible for UX.

Just bring it back and create a new tab for it. Don’t replace what is already there and breaking our workflow.

For people that want the same functionality back you can do to File > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts…

then rebind shortcuts

You can also find it in “Customize Quick Access Toolbar”

4 Likes

This is gonna be a life saver I have like 100+ rbxl files and 200+ rbxm files :sunglasses: