[Beta] New Experiences Have Team Create Enabled

Also just wanted to throw it out there, script autosaving works worse inside teamcreate. I’ve lost so much work from getting randomly disconnected from a teamcreate for no reason whatsoever and losing hours of work, where the script auto-recovery did nothing to save my scripts.

stop pushing unfinished features

7 Likes

Bruh, my router already doesn’t let me use normal Team Create (i have to vpn through my vps whenever I want to join a Team Create session).
The current way of ROBLOX Studio seemed just fine to me.
I’m not a big fan of the always connected ideology, I don’t like the idea of having all new projects being automatically saved to roblox.

1 Like

For that issue try use a DNS Jumper or change your DNS manually to switch to a different DNS server. Sometimes I’ve had this fix some issues with other applications.

1 Like

Prime example of why this is terrible today.
I was working on a place, wanted to quickly test the scaling of something, so I clicked new to create a new baseplate, with the intention of using test to spawn a character and check the scaling of a chair.

The new window opened, rather than as a baseplate as “LordHenryVonHenry’s place number 1600”
The previous window however got stuck with “Adding current script versions to script version history before closing place RoomBuilding” So for some reason opening that new baseplate made it want to close the existing place, as the existing place was not team create, it seems to have got infinitely stuck on that error, followed by “Loading game (attempt 1)”.
I cannot close that popup, nor can I save, nor can I exit.
If not for local autosaves I would have lost a bunch of work (and I still lost a bunch of work related to my plugins).
All this is presumably caused by it presuming the existing place is a team create place, when it isn’t.

Why…
Just why…
So many developers shy away from team create, for a variety of legitimate reasons, from not having a good internet connection, to the fact if your work gets stolen, and you have team create enabled, you get a copy pasted response saying: “oh check who you gave team create access to”.
Or maybe just the fact they don’t like not having control over when stuff is saved, or they find committing scripts whenever they make changes a pain.
Maybe they’ve just experienced one of the many bugs with team create in the past and want to avoid the hassle.

Switch the default setting on the “file new creates team create enabled”
and don’t you dare remove that setting in the future.

3 Likes

I’m largely a solo developer and I rebuke all this troublesome always online, teamCreate with no team, making it easier to hack, steal, attack, lose data etc Get rid of FE just to do something dumb like this…But Roblox is gonna Roblox and screw up our progress by moving forwards the backwards way instead of doing what is right and just! I have never had a good experience with teamcreate. I want mine always off and away from the clouds…

5 Likes

This so-called “improvement” is a slap in the face to any self-respecting developer.

I love making prototypes, and templates are a very important part of doing that quickly. What I don’t love is having said prototypes be automatically uploaded to Roblox as soon as I make them, creating a new place associated with my account that I have no way to delete, only archive (which in its current state, is equal to “hiding it inside of a disgusting closet that hasn’t been cleaned in the past decade”).

Your “solution” is not good enough. It’s hidden behind a context menu (notice how it’s not available in studio’s start menu?) and only works with baseplates, essentially permanently and irreversibly making all template places accessible only by creating a new one in the platform.

Not only that, but it’s implied it’s temporary…

Your wording implies that once team create is “improved”, this feature will be removed and local files will be impossible to create again. How could anyone unironically think this is a good idea?

This is borderline an insult to any developer that uses rojo or other local solutions or simply anyone that has a less-than-ideal internet connection. Not everything needs to be online and represented in the Roblox platform. This feels like a direct attack against the workflow of many developers, some of them developing your platform’s biggest and most influential experiences.

Development should never be reliant on the cloud. Your aggressive efforts to hide local files behind dark patterns and arbitrary restrictions does nothing but hurt your reputation in the most professional development circle in your platform, makes your creation tools look more like children toys to any outsider and most importantly, puts an unnecessary security risk of having development copies accidentally leak online.

It’s time for this ““vision”” nonsense created by Roblox’s Product Team to stop. Roblox wants to provide more cloud functionality and simplified tooling with their platform, and that’s ok, but that doesn’t mean the proven ways of doing things should be removed in favor of them. This has been shown time and time again to be an issue with Roblox.

“Doing things “automatically” or “via the cloud” is simpler for <13 developers and beginners, so we won’t bother implementing the industry-standard way of doing things, and if it already exists, we’ll straight up hide it behind a bunch of confusing settings and eventually remove it later.”

Every time Roblox makes a controversial update or change to their development tools, this seems to be the root reasoning. It shows a clear disconnect between the product team’s objectives and the objectives of the developers actually making experiences and content that keep this platform afloat and evolving. It applies to everything, from lighting probes not being added because “they can’t be represented as a real-world object” to local files being butchered and turned into second-class citizens in place of cloud saves, which have inherently different qualities and drawbacks and can’t replace each other.

It’s time for Roblox to treat Roblox Studio and Roblox’s engine as a development tool, not as a toy or an attraction for players.

Roblox, following your “vision” and removing (or ignoring) concepts and functionality present in any other engine is delusional and actively puts arbitrary limits in your platform’s capabilities. Please wake up, pull your head up from the sand and read the room. We welcome your efforts to make studio more attractive to first-time developers, but please, not at the expense of everyone else.

Stop replacing traditional local files with always-online cloud saving, stop replacing flexibility and configuration with a single automatic choice, one-size-fits-all simply doesn’t apply for development.

Even the strongest default can’t cover everyone, which is why customization and choice is so important, especially in a tool for developing experiences and games.

15 Likes

Could not agree more. I’d like it if Roblox was more of a generic game engine that could be ported over much like Unity, but also maintain its own platform and community at the same time.

Though I can’t see that future coming true for Roblox.

2 Likes

I don’t really know how I feel about this. The thing is, I don’t want Studio to be a cloud IDE. And my primary editing experience will literally never be Team Create even if it’s forced, because I’ll always be using VSCode and Rojo and Git and GitHub.

What’s the point of adding significant overhead to my workflow and severely harming its reliability when I don’t even use the features in the first place?

It’s not just a matter of Team Create having a history of being unreliable, in fact, that has nothing to do with it for me.

I don’t want Roblox to be the only game engine ever that can’t handle a McDonalds, or can lose you days of work over a funny little 15 minute storm.

Why should I need to download an entire universe to my computer every time I want to run 4 lines of code?

Personally, if I could, I would legitimately trade the entirety of Team Create and all the features that come with it just to be able to open Roblox Studio without internet, because the ability to do this would literally be worth more money and time to me.

I would pay to strip away features to be able to use Studio off the cloud and would literally gain money as a result.

6 Likes

Hey everyone,

We’re happy to announce that we have fixed the issue, and the feature is now in Beta.

Thank you.

the devforum needs a downvote button

My thoughts on this have been expressed by others replying but this feature sucks, especially for any professional developer who is operating with tools like Rojo, or even anyone who does a lot of experimentation. My more general thoughts on Roblox’s tight integration with the cloud have been similarly expressed by others, however this crosses a line, as it directly impedes productivity.

At the very least I would expect this remains something that can be disabled/opted out of indefinitely, otherwise it would be severely detrimental to myself and other developers’ workflows.

10 Likes

Can you fix the issue where this feature was added in the first place

7 Likes

I’m fine with team create being enabled for published places, but new places should in no way ever be published by default. They should remain temporary as they were. If I want to publish my project, I will do so myself. If I only want it saved locally and not published, I will do that myself. Please do not force this on developers. Thank you.

It would also be nice to finally be able to actually delete places/experiences and assets instead of just archiving them.

3 Likes

Is this enough as a replacement?

The best fix to this would be to do a 180 on the decision to be cloud based. Roblox Team Create servers down? Sorry cant work on your places now!

Edit: Roblox just partially went down and

The cloud is going great guys!

11 Likes

I encountered a bug where this feature was implemented into my studio client in the first place, would be appreciated if you guys could roll out a patch removing it from my studio client altogether.

Although Studio has been “always-online” for a while now. So if there’s an issue with certain services like yesterday, you won’t even be able to log into Studio. Plus if you don’t have internet, you’re just straight out of luck. But that’s a whole different issue.

Not even a single time, I’ve always wanted to create a game file without publishing to Roblox but when i want this option to be enabled (so that studio won’t assign a new game with Team create enabled) it won’t apply when selecting template and create the place and it’s still gonna publish the game and enable team create.

still annoying and i don’t support this feature

4 Likes

I don’t like this change at all.
I want offline studio, not always online.
Plus for solo devlopers, this makes editing places incredibly slow, as now instead of just saving to your own computer you have to wait for everything to upload to a cloud server (very slow)>
My bet is that a majority of developers are doing this solo. This does nothing but make the experience worse with no tangible benefits.
Forcing team create is bad. I re-iterate: not everyone works in a team. Thats a small amount of people.
Also, sometimes I create empty baseplates for testing small things. If roblox wants the cloud cluttered up with places that would otherwise go unsaved, then I guess they are deciding to shoot themselves in the foot in the process.
Bad change, if team create is forced on me with no option for local offline places, then I will permanently stop developing on Roblox.
Updates should improve QOL, not actively degrade it for no reason.

4 Likes

I have a similar problem with team create and animations. I’m currently working on a big project that I started recently and Roblox put on team create without telling me. So I’ve already have a few broken animations and my internet likes to switch on and off. Just thought I could share my situation.

1 Like

Perhaps an “easy mode” and “advanced mode” for settings can help with the one-size-fits-all.

For beginners, they can easily apply settings without the large spectrum of knowledge of individual buttons needed (perhhaps hiding ones they potentially don’t need when they start), whilst also providing a way for more experienced developers to edit specific settings without the trouble of the one-size-fits-all.

3 Likes

Hello Developers,

We appreciate all of the feedback you provided on this beta. We’ve ensured your feedback is reflected in the prioritization of our immediate roadmap:

• Improving problems with commit flows for scripting
  • Decreasing place join times
  • Improving connection reliability
  • Adding more oversight into changes/activities
  • Improving your control of place management

It’s clear that Team Create can cause friction without these improvements. You can expect these changes to Team Create in the near future.

Meanwhile, we have shipped an update to this beta so that it’s easier to opt out of defaulting to Team Create when creating a new experience. If you are using the beta, you will now see a “Display Team Create Toggle when creating a new experience” setting in Studio settings. When the setting is enabled, a “Team Create” toggle will appear in the Studio start page when creating a new place. You can toggle Team Create on or off for the new place you create from the start page. The prior setting controlling Ctrl+N behavior still works (“File → New (Ctrl+N) creates a place with Team Create off”).

We have a few more improvements upcoming in this beta to make your development easier.

Please share your feedback on the new update.

Thank you!

4 Likes