Beta Testers Trust Level Creation

I am participating in the Beta Program. I think there’s a way to improve the experience of the Beta Testers. This is my suggestion: the way you are just applying will remain the same, but when you’re accepted, the trust level will change. It will remain as New Member or Member, but this text will be included, too: [Beta Member]. People with this Trust Level will get access to an exclusive category called something like Beta Stuff. There will be two subcategories: Beta Website Updates (only Roblox Staff can create topics) and Beta Features Feedback (accessible to all the people that are Beta Testers). In the Beta Website Updates subcategory, Roblox Staff will post all the new features added for Beta Members. In the Beta Features Feedback subcategory, Beta Testers will post their gnome about the experimental features and any bugs they’ll detect.

This was my suggestion, please leave a :heart: if you agree!

6 Likes

New features are often announced in public announcement as beta exclusive before being fully released, and users can use the appropriate bug report category to report issues already.

It will help to justify why this is necessary, especially the trust level addition which seems more like a status symbol. Is there a use-case you have? Definitely include it, it will help when your suggestion is being discussed. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This will just help Beta Testers focus on the new features available for them, and have an appropriate category to post bug reports and feedback. With this way, non-Beta members won’t be spammed by posts that they don’t really care and it will also avoid DMs to staff members that some people may do in order to report beta feature bugs.

Good idea but not really. It does give you some “exclusivity” but what for? You have all of those features announced publicly and the program is rather easily accessible and quite public itself.

I think the Beta Program is not really meant to have any exclusivity. It’s just for people who want to opt in to have these features enabled for them. Anyone in the forum has to opportunity to be in this program so there’s really no need to have a specific tag or category.

4 Likes

I would say the existing #platform-feedback category is already good for this because it is intended for any bug/feature request for platform including beta feature bugs. I think adding another category for feedback will create confusion and people will misuse it by posting non beta feature related topics in it.

I don’t think being apart of the beta program should be a status thing because people will join it for the wrong reasons like wanting more forum accessibility and a better status for themselves.

A group seems most appropriate. Join the group and get access to the beta features/section.

7 Likes

There is no point in making an exclusive category just for people on the beta list because:

• Almost everyone active on the forum is on the beta list. It’s like the first thing people do when they get in.
  • It’s useful for everyone to know what features belong to the beta and which don’t, not just for people on the beta list. It should just be a public topic.

The only suggestion here that actually will have a point is keeping the list of beta features up-to-date somewhere. This doesn’t require a whole new trust level or an exclusive category, that’s way too complicated. Unfortunately beta list membership is not that special.

5 Likes

This is already somewhat covered by File > Beta Features in Studio

There are notably some things that use the beta list but not Studio’s beta features, such as the website, but this dialog should mostly be all that matters to developers as far as beta features are concerned. The beta list itself is slowly becoming obsolete for developers as well since we have started to decouple these from the beta list (terrain editor & new updates can be enabled by anyone).

1 Like

Beta member is not all that special as all you have to do is post
Opt in
I would like to be in the Beta program
Username:[Insert username here]

And for the categories for only Beta testers, isn’t this already done in the Updates category?

I don’t think beta is meant to have that. Anyone can opt in at any time and be part of it. The only way I would see that would probably be if the beta program was like an application process.

1 Like

I actually disagree with this, all you have to do is say Opt in with a username and bam. It kind of gets rid of the “Trust” in trust levels.

1 Like

Just following up here because of the recent changes to the beta process.

Along with other changes, beta features should now be easily identifiable (this was kind of a trend already, however I’m guessing it’ll be more consistent). The thread can be used to discuss the changes, and any bugs/feature requests can be posted in #platform-feedback.

Because everyone will be getting access to these features, I don’t think this is much of an issue anymore.

This should extend to all beta features outside of studio too eventually.

Do you think the changes partially or fully resolve your use-case?

2 Likes